Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1999 Dodge Dakota 3.9 L replaced my PCM now runs fine ...but

Customer Question

1999 Dodge Dakota 3.9 L replaced my PCM
now runs fine ...but sometimes quits and get "no bus" message after 20 minutes and up to operating temperature. All 5v sensors seem good. Could it be something in the ASD relay line or something to do with instrument panel?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Have you checked for U codes with a scan tool yet and if so, are there any and what are they?

Also, so I can check for any related service bulletins, I need the last 8 digits of the VIN number

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no codes.... serial# XS151519 Truck starts and runs fine then 20 minutes later will stop
and "no bus" will be on dash.. sometimes will run for hours and then stop. Truck will restart after awhile or if I wiggle the connectors in to the PCM. Truck has been at the shop for weeks and they have tried everything. Must be something they are missing? Must be short somewhere. I have read there are issues with the ASD circuit with resistance causing relay to shut down. Also possible issues with instrument cluster. Everyone is completely stumped...must be something they are overlooking....which is why I am contacting you.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

The fact that it will start when wiggling the connectors at the pcm indicate that there is either loose wires in the connector, loose pins at the pcm, or possibly chafed wiring that is occasionally touching metal and wiggling the connector resolves this for a bit.

Each pin at the pcm needs to be checked for being bent or slightly loose. If ok, then each wire at the connectors need to wiggled individually when it wont start and no bus signal active in order to find which wire is the culprit, either loose inside the connector or shorting, then inspected and repaired..