-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I recently purchased a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. I drove it

Customer Question

Hello Eric, I recently purchased a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. I drove it for a couple of months and heard a clicking noise coming from under the center console. I learned that it was the 'air door actuator'. I removed the center console found the motor module that was making the noise, removed it and took it apart, sure enough some of the teeth were missing so I ordered a new one from Auto Zone part number 604-038. I have installed the new module, however it still makes the same clicking noise, so I removed the new unit, took it apart and all gears and teeth appear to be good. when I installed the new unit I made sure that all controls were in the off position and all wiring was disconnected from the panel. The drive shaft is designed to match up with a mark on the motor housing, which I made sure that it was in the proper position. What am I missing?? Thanks Bob
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

Can I get the last 8 digits of your VIN number to see what's going on?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last 8 digits of VIN 9S735278.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay!!

I went and looked and the HVAC recall has been done on your vehicle..

J12DS HVAC CONTROLJuly 29, 2009August 5, 2009

K17REPROGRAM HVAC CONTROL HEAD INSP./REPLSeptember 17, 2010November 11, 2010

N08REAR AXLE PINION NUTApril 1, 2013December 19, 2013

The K17 is what I was concerned about because it was dealing with the Face/Defrost and floor actuators.. See section C in the recall.. Can you let me know which one you having issues with? Also when you take it off can you turn the door in the HVAC unit and see if it keeps turning or turns stop to stop..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Brad, Thanks for your response, not sure if the recall was ever done on my truck. I am supposed to have all of the itemized receipts for all work done on this truck. I will, check this out.
Now, I'm not positive which unit is acting up, but facing the dash, it is the unit on the right side. I did check the door action and yes it will move freely stop to stop (less than quarter turn), no binding, no noise like it may be trying to 'hang up' or anything unusual. It returns to proper position easily.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the confusion but the recalls where all done.

12DS HVAC CONTROL July 29, 2009 August 5, 2009

K17REPROGRAM HVAC CONTROL HEAD INSP./REPL September 17, 2010 November 11, 2010

N08REAR AXLE PINION NUT April 1, 2013 December 19, 2013

The first date is the recall issue date and the second is the repair date.. The right side actuator which is the foot actuator was not part of the recall but if the door itself is not broken and turning fine then I would replace the actuator with a OEM one from us(Dealership) and have them calibrate the HVAC doors you should be in good shape...

I hope this helps,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Brad.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome!!

Thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Brad, I have a new motor now I need to know what steps to take to calibrate the new motor to activate to door.
Thanks Bob
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You can just try using it without calibrating it because you will need a scantool to recalibrate the doors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Bob
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome..

Thanks for the positive rating,

Brad