Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have a 2005 dodge neon and when accelerating the engine

Customer Question

I have a 2005 dodge neon and when accelerating the engine pings?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Is the check engine light on or has it come on recently? If so, has it been scanned for codes? Post all retrieved codes here please and we can go from there...

How many miles on the vehicle?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The code is PO131. I believe it's a misfiring 4th cyclinder
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Ok, p0131 is an O2 Sensor code. A failed O2 sensor can definitely cause poor running and/or pinging. At this time, I recommend to diagnose the upstream O2 sensor circuit, I suspect if the wiring is ok you will need to replace the upstream O2 sensor.

For now, I'm posting the diagnostic procedure for P0131 ----->> Click Here.

As for the misfiring, I don't suspect a misfiring condition at this time. If #4 was misfiring at this time you would also have a code P0304. Since this code is not present, #4 is not misfiring at this time..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions or need additional diagnostic info...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's correct. That code that I provided was actually for my Volvo s60. Sorry about that. The code for the dodge neon was actually a misfiring 4th cylinder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0304
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Has it been tuned up recently? Spark plugs and wires?

How many miles on the vehicle?