Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

Have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. Getting a p2314

Customer Question

Have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. Getting a p2314 code. Swapped number 5 and 1 coil still getting the same code. Changed cyl 5 plugs still same code. Swapped ignition wires with another cylinder and still the same code. Runs perfect just throwing
the engine light.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Did you clear the code after swapping the parts and the same code reset?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Usually drive it a day or 2 and it pops back up

Have you tried swapping the injector with another cylinder? Pretty much anything that can affect the air/fuel ratio on a particular cylinder can set this code.. if its not spark related you have to start looking at fuel delivery items that can affect only one cylinder or a vacuum leak or wiring issue. I would start by swapping the coil and make sure that isnt it and give the wiring a quick look and make sure you dont find any obvious damage anywhere.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I swapped the coil with a different cylinder. I don't see any obvious damage to the wiring. I will swap injectors. I didn't know injectors would throw that code.

It is certainly a possibility. Not as common as a spark problem but unless its PCM or wiring related I think you have ruled out the ignition components.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not even looked yet. Are the injectors hard to swap?

Not particularly. Shouldnt take more than an hour. You want instructions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please if you have them handy?

Remove the fuel rail then remove the clip holding the injectors in the rail then just rock it a little while pulling it.

5.7L V-8

WARNING:THE FUEL SYSTEM IS UNDER CONSTANT PRESSURE EVEN WITH ENGINE OFF. BEFORE SERVICING FUEL RAIL, FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE MUST BE RELEASED.

CAUTION:The left and right fuel rails are replaced as an assembly. Do not attempt to separate rail halves at connector tube ( 5.7L FUEL RAIL ). Due to design of tube, it does not use any clamps. Never attempt to install a clamping device of any kind to tube. When removing fuel rail assembly for any reason, be careful not to bend or kink tube.

Remove fuel tank filler tube cap.
Perform Fuel System Pressure Release Procedure.
Remove negative battery cable at battery.
Remove flex tube (air cleaner housing to engine).
Remove air resonator box at throttle body.
Disconnect all spark plug cables from all spark plugs and ignition coils. Do not remove cables from cable routing tray. Note original cable positions while removing .
Remove spark plug cable tray from engine by releasing 4 retaining clips . Remove tray and cables from engine as an assembly.
Disconnect electrical connectors at all 8 ignition coils. Refer to Ignition Coil Removal/Installation.
Disconnect fuel line latch clip and fuel line at fuel rail. A special tool will be necessary for fuel line disconnection.
Disconnect electrical connectors at all 8 fuel injectors. To remove connector refer to . Push red colored slider away from injector (1). While pushing slider, depress tab (2) and remove connector (3) from injector. The factory fuel injection wiring harness is numerically tagged (INJ 1, INJ 2, etc.) for injector position identification. If harness is not tagged, note wiring location before removal.
Disconnect electrical connectors at all throttle body sensors.
Remove 4 fuel rail mounting bolts and holdown clamps .
Gently rock and pull left side of fuel rail until fuel injectors just start to clear machined holes in intake manifold. Gently rock and pull right side of rail until injectors just start to clear intake manifold head holes. Repeat this procedure (left/right) until all injectors have cleared machined holes.
Remove fuel rail (with injectors attached) from engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally got around to changing the injector. The same code popped up again. For some reason you can clear the code drive it all day and it won't throw the code. It's not until you let it sit for hours and let the engine completely cool off. On a cold engine as soon as you crank it the engine light pops on. Through process of elimination I have determined it's not the coil pack,plugs,ignition wires or injector. Could it be the computer? Is there a way to test that?

Determining the PCM is bad is more about making sure everything else is good.

Did you swap the injector with another or buy a new one?

Your next step would be to check the coil wires between the coil and the PCM and making sure its not shorted to ground and doesnt have high resistance. Then check and make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks. If that all checks out THEN replace the PCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went ahead and just put in a new injector. Would a vacuum leak only throw a code for cyl 5 like that?

Its pretty rare but if it just happened to be in the right spot on the intake it could.

We cant verify the new injector was good.. thats why I said to swap it with another cylinder.. we know the ones on the other cylinders arent setting codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should have swapped them. I have a bad back and that job took its toll on me leaning over and didn't want to do it all again if it was the injector. What get me is it only triggers the cel if the engine is cooled off. You can drive it all day and as long as the engine is warm it will not set the light. As soon as you let it sit a few hours as soon as it starts (within seconds) it triggers the light. The truck runs perfect and the plugs didn't look wet or oily etc..