Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
62301042

I own a 2002 Dakota Ext. cab truck. About ten years ago the

Customer Question

I own a 2002 Dakota Ext. cab truck. About ten years ago the check engine light would come on and as a resident of New York it would not pass the annual inspection. The inspection stations would eventually pass the inspection only to have the light come back on shortly after. For years this went on until New York monitored the inspection process. There were short times when the light would go off and at that time I would get the inspection done. In the past few years I had many different mechanics try to fix the problem. Last year I contacted Chrysler Customer Care. After dealing with many different people and taking truck to the dealer, I was told that the valve stem on the gas tank had a leak. I already had this done in 2009 but let them go ahead and replace it because New York State would give me a one year waver if the cost was over $450. On the way home the light came back on. I returned the truck and after three days they told me they couldn't find the problem. I contacted Customer Care and returned the truck to the dealer. A catalytic coverer and O2 senser were replaced. Yes, the light came back on eight miles down the road. This month my inspection will expire and I will be unable to drive the truck. This vehicle is in good shape with 130,000 miles and runs good. Because no one can get the light out I can't even sell it. Am I to believe that this is a throw away? This truck has been a cash cow an a inconvenience for years. The frustration is that there isn't anything who can get this light out.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, can you turn your key on off on off on and tell me what codes you have in the odometer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
p0340, p0138, p1391
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

P0340 is loss of cam signal at pcm. p1391 is intermittent loss of cam or crank signal. P0138 is bank 1 downstream 02 sensor shorted to voltage. What engine is in your Dakota? Have you replaced the cam position sensor and the downstream 02 sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jon, Thanks for your response. When I first started this correspondence I was under the impression it was thru Chrysler. When I completed my discretion I realized it was not. The codes from the odometer were already read by the dealership and numerous other mechanics. I don't believe I should have to invest more money with this problem.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I have no control over what you spend on this site, I just try to answer questions I think I can help with. Is there anything I can help you regarding this issue?