Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
62301042

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L, 140,000 miles. Sputtered and

Customer Question

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L, 140,000 miles. Sputtered and stopped in traffic, would not crank.
All dash lights, windows, etc. work. NO error codes show on dash (I can't take it to an auto parts store to read code, because it won't start). Square frame around gear indicator on dash is gone.
Traded battery out for a known good one, no luck. Traded starter relay for a known good one, no luck. Confirmed 12v at pin 86 on starter relay when key in start position. Can also hear the starter relay click. NO voltage at starter solenoid when key in start position. Engine will crank when jumped to solenoid.
Replaced neutral safety switch/transmission range sensor. Replaced transmission speed sensor.
Jumped contacts 30 and 87, starter spins. Grounded pin 85, starter spins on “start”. Replaced PCM, nothing – still no crank, still no box around gear indicator on dash.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, did you have your PCM programmed after you replaced it and was it a new Mopar PCM? That box around the PRNDL that's missing is definitely related to the no crank. The PCM needs to see the gear position in park or neutral for it to ground pin 85 of the starter relay.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Also a common issue with your van is battery acid eating up the harness under the battery tray I you want to remove the battery and tray to inspect the harness.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already removed the battery and tray when I replaced the transmission range sensor. Also note in my original question that I have power to the starter relay, and the starter will crank when jumped either at the relay or at the solenoid. Did you even read my original question?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Yes I read your question. If the starter cranks when jumping 87 and 30, you are missing a power or ground at 85 or 86.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Quotes from my original post: "Confirmed 12v at pin 86 on starter relay when key in start position" and "Grounded pin 85, starter spins on “start”."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fact that a ground is missing at 85 led me to believe that the PCM wasn't providing a ground, which is why I replaced it. That did not solve the problem.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

You also put it would not crank. Did you have the pcm programmed? The NGC controllers don't come with software out of the box.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

The 4th green connector is also the transmission computer, that could be missing a power...

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

I need to know if you had the new pcm programmed so we can move forward and fix this issue though. Originally you said it wouldn't crank. If you jumped 87 and 30 and it cranked, but doesn't from the key and power is present at 86, the ground from the pcm has to be missing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ground from the PCM is definitely missing. I bought a pre-programmed PCM, had to provide mileage, VIN, P/N for the PCM and for the software version.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok, but what about running the pcm replaced function in the WCM after you replaced the pcm? That also needs to be done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't heard of that. How do I do it?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

You need a scan tool that can get into the WCM (wireless control module), then run the PCM replaced function in the WCM. It transfers the secret key information from the WCM to the PCM. You'll need the 4 digit SKIM PIN also once you get a scanner capable of running that function. It definitely won't start until that is done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm guessing this is something only a dealer will have.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Not just a dealer, some of the high end aftermarket scan tools will give you access to the wcm. Locksmiths also should be able to do it too if they can program keys. Its the same module they go in to program a key, if they have a scanner that can do that, I'd guess they could perform the PCM replaced function.