Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I changed the battery on a 2004 dodge ram 1500.

Customer Question

I changed the battery on a 2004 dodge ram 1500. Security/anti-theft alarm sounded when cables reattached. Used key FOB to silence alarm which did not work. Although FOB locks and unlocks doors, once door is opened, the alarm activates and goes through its cycle. Used FOB again to shut off alarm, that too did not work. Truck does not start either. Truck battery is brand new and so is the battery in the FOB.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

From what you described, it sounds like the vehicle is equipped with an AFTERMARKET installed alarm system. Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, try the following

disconnect the negative cable. Open driver door and leave open. Insert key into ignition and turn to on position. Wait 60 seconds and then reconnect negative cable while key is still in ignition and turned to on position. Alarm should sound for 60 seconds and then go off. Cycle key off and then crank