Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

My serv 4wd light came on and now I can not switch it to 4wd

Customer Question

hey chris my serv 4wd light came on and now I can not switch it to 4wd
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

What is the model of your Dodge?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a 2004 2500 5.9 diesel
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks. There are 3 possible causes for this problem. 1 a failing transfer case actuator motor, 2 a failing control module, and 3 a wiring problem between the switch and the module or between the transfer case actuator and module. Now since the service 4wd light is on, there is a diagnostic trouble code (s) in the module. Here's the thing - in order to read the trouble code, you will need a capable scan tool that can communicate with the transfer case module. Of course the dealer can check that for you, but some independent shops with the correct scan tool can also do that. But first, let's try resetting the module. Disconnect the negative battery cables for 5 minutes. Then reconnect them. Let me know if that gets it working again.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris