-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I released the clutch pedal before the engine fired, and now

Customer Question

I released the clutch pedal before the engine fired, and now all I hear when fully engaged is a click whenI try to start???
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

So your hearing the starter click and not engage? Can you remove the starter relay and with the tranmission in neutral and emergency brake held jump pins 30 and 87 and tell me if the starter just clicks or engages.. If it clicks you need a new starter, if it engages then grab a test light and tell me if pins 86 have 12v and 85 a ground when the key is in the start position..

Keep me posted,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Brad, OK, pin 86 has 12v and pin 85 is a ground, and it still won't spin the starter.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply!!

Ok that means the control side if the relay is working, so test pin 30 for 12v.. If the relay will click and not engage the starter then pin 30 should be dead.. Fuse 2 supplies the voltage so check and see if it's blown..

I hope this helps and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Brad, fuse 30 has 12v. New starter, and the pins are as you said they should be ... what else? It's still just clicking ~
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Ok lets see if we can narrow down your issues... Can you remove the starter relay and jump pins 30 to 87 and tell me if the starter engages... If it clicks then you have a issue with the starter or the connections/wiring.. By jumping pins 30 to 87 your bypassing the relay all together....

If it does engage then can you double check pins 86 for 12v and 85 for a ground.. If good then reinstall relay and tell me what happens or if the relay clicks...

Keep me posted,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the starter relay and jumped pins 30 to 87 and all I got was a click. I replaced the starter ... only two wires for the connection, and it still clicks.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Are you serious? This could only mean that your engine is locked down.. If you remove the starter from the bellhousing will it kick over when you try and start it? Do you have a pullhandle to put a socket on the crankshaft and see if it will spin over..

I'm interested in what's going on so reply back when you have had a chance to check for me..

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the suggestion ... I'll try it in the morning and get back to you.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Keep me posted and thank you for the positive rating

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, the engine isn't locked down because I did a compression start and it ran just fine. I pulled the starter leaving the wires hooked up and no clicking or anything when I turned the key to start. Thought maybe it had lost its ground when it became unbolted, so I added a ground wire with alligator clips - still nothing. Back in place, it just clicks.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If the starter just clicks then it's bad.. If you have 12v going to large and small wire and you added a ground to the body of the starter and it clicks the starter is bad.. You can remove it and with a set of jumper cables attach the red to the big lug and black to the body and then run a small jumper from the big lug to the small solenoid and it should kick over.. If it clicks replace the starter..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't click - it engages.. Should it also spin?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The bendix on the end should kick out and spin.. If it not then it needs to be replaced..

Glad I could help and thanks for the posiive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, the bendix kicks out and the starter spins, but when I bolt it back in place it just clicks.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

When you bolt it back in does the bendix kick out? When it clicks make sure you have 12v constant on the big and small wires at the starter.. Since the engine is not locked down and the starter won't engage when bolted up I would say it's a bad starter.. It gets ground from being bolted to the transmission so you know it has ground and that leaves the 12v on the small and big wires..

Let me know,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good news Brad, I figured it out! There's one more variable in the loop ... the neutral safety switch on the clutch pedal. I clipped the wires, twisted them together, and that was it. Now I've got to replace it as it will start in gear without the clutch engaged ~
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

That is odd because we allready checked that... The ignition switch feeds 12v thru the yellow wire that runs to the clutch switch and then to pin 86 in the starter relay.. You said we had 12v there so we continued..

Glad you got it fixed and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad