Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

I have the same problem as the guy with the 06 Dakota except

Customer Question

I have the same problem as the guy with the 06 Dakota except I have an 05
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Red blinking light on dash, 3 back to back starts/kills, now no crank at all my nearest dealership is trying to way over charge me, need help asap, thanks
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Unfortunately all the symptoms you have listed just tell me the key is not being recognized for SOME reason. Without some further diagnostics which you probably dont have the tools to do we dont know why.

Since it is at a dealer and they have given you a price I would assume they did the further diagnostics. What did they say needs done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They told me my security system locked out and is also causing a short to my PCM, regarding this they tell me I will need to get a new system installed with 2 new keys and a wireless ignition system I think it was as well as I would need to get my PCM replaced costing a total of $1,900... something isn't right

I agree. Honestly it sounds like they arent sure what is causing it and just making sure to replace everything so theres no chance of them being wrong.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exactly, dispite that if I'm up to my knowledge on computer diogs, that it reads everything even in the past until a computer is reset and driving a few hundred miles, what do you think I should do?

You are kind of stuck on this one. Purchasing a scan tool capable of properly diagnosing and fixing this is unreasonable for someone who doesnt own a shop.. its not even feasible for most technicians. I certainly wouldnt authorize the work and would try not to pay a diagnostic fee to this place as they have not properly diagnosed it (at least in my opinion). I cannot imagine all of this needs replaced but without properly diagnosing it I cant say for sure.

I would get it somewhere else for a second opinion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said they've done a full diagnostic, and that the key is 193.00 the replacement ignition is 200.00 and if I buy my own pcm that I could bring them that one to replace but they would charge me $380 just in service
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anyway to bypass the security system or just get rid of it all together? Or if not why are they trying to replace the whole ignition instead of just making a new key and programming it

It doesnt seem logical that the PCM needs replaced. Its possible but would be a rare circumstance. Are they willing to try just the key and ignition? Would they try a new ignition without a key?

Whats the 380 for? A half hour labor and another half hour programming? Ive never seen a dealer with a 380 hourly labor rate. Are they charging you for the money they are not making from selling you a PCM? Will they put that on as a seperate line item?

Its more likely for something on the truck to be broken rather than the key itself. But the key should be able to be reused with the replacement part for whatever is broken on the truck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exactly, I'm gonna ask them that, don't you also work for dodge? What should the repair hour rate be? And if you don't mind if you have access to finding out how much it would be to get the new ignition alone

I do not work for dodge. I own my own shop.

The hourly rates vary around the country but they shouldnt be over 150 per hour anywhere.

Assuming were talking about the ignition switch its .9 hours labor and 120 list on the switch.

The lock cylinder is 165 list and .6 hours labor and .3 hours labor to code it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to but a used pcm, ignition and key or even just the first 2 from like a junk yard and it be able to be put in my truck?

Doubtful. It would still have to be programmed and nobody wants to program and therefore be responsible for used parts... especially parts they didnt sell you and didnt make money off of or have the ability to pass the buck back to their supplier for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im not sure what "?" means in this context.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answered everything professionally

Please be sure to click one of the stars to rate my service so I get credit for it. I appreciate it.