bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

The fog lights are not working on my 2002 Neon so the car

Customer Question

The fog lights are not working on my 2002 Neon so the car will not pass inspection. I checked for 12 volts at fuse #19 & there was 0 volts. The strange thing is, I also checked for voltage at fuses #17 & #18, the left & right headlights & measured 0 volts there as well & yet both headlights work even without the fuses! By the way, I also checked fuse #2, the one for the wipers, because I wanted to see something work correctly & that didn't disappoint me - when I removed the fuse, the wipers stopped working & I did measure 12 volts at that fuse. Any ideas? Thanks. John Picarello
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

can you read and follow a wiring diagram, the fuse for the fog lamps gets NO voltage until the fog lamp switch is turned on, by the way fog lamp switches were a common failure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the the switch must be on to check the voltage. If you reread my question I said the headlights were still on when I removed their fuses. I also said that I measured 12 volts at the fuse for the wipers (when they were turned on, of course.) So do you have any idea what may be wrong?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please refund my $5.00. I am troubleshooting the problem myself. The vehicle is already way past inspection & it takes too long to get an answer.( 10 minutes for most? I guess I'm not part of that "most".) Also, I don't know how you could have really read my original question & then tell me that the switch must be turned on! It should have been apparent that I knew that.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry about the delay BUT I answered your question yesterday at 6.34pm eastern time, I didn't hear back until TODAY at 12.34 PM eastern time at which time I was at my full time job at the dealer I work for and cannot always get online while I am at work due to restrictions on personal use of the internet.

so to answer your question I would say the multifunction switch has failed (which I said last night in my last paragraph that they were very common to fail) I am sending a link to the wiring diagram for the fog lamp circuit, IF the headlamps are working and you turn on the fog lamps the indicator should turn on in the dash if it DOES NOT the fog lamp portion of the multi function switch is not sending out power to the fuse for the fog lamps which is why there is no power to the fuses in the fuse box, as to why the headlamps still work with the fuses for them pulled I did not look into that wiring to see how the headlamps are wired.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ir8cg0hp9u4xvo/New%20Microsoft%20Office%20Word%20Document.docx?dl=0