Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

2005 Dodge Ram SRT 10. Installing aftermarket Walbro 400lph

Customer Question

2005 Dodge Ram SRT 10.
Installing aftermarket Walbro 400lph fuel pump. I've modified my fuel tank module to accept the pump but I need to know the correct polarity +/- of the Red and Orange wires connected to the OEM pump.
Which one is switched 12v and which one is ground?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

One moment while I pull up a diagram and check.

OK. The wires apparently change color at the 4 way connector on the outside of the sender. You would have to follow the wires up to the 4 way connector and see which is which. On the 4 way connector the black/orange is ground and the orange/red is positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need beyond the 4 way. Internally there is an orange wire and a red wire that directly attach to the pump. I need the polarity of those two wires. I'm keeping the module assembly but replacing the actual pump with an aftermarket pump. I'm running a Paxton Supercharger and need more fuel than what the OEM pump can provide.
Never mind I saw where you said to trace them up. I'll give that a try.

Dodge does not do wiring diagrams on assemblys. Its easy enough to figure out though. Get your multimeter out. Set it to ohms and check for continuity between the terminal at the 4 way to the two wires directly at the pump. The one that has continuity to pin 4 of the 4 way is positive and the one that has continuity to pin 1 of the 4 way is ground. I am attaching a pinout of the 4 way here so you know which pin is 1 and which is 4.