Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

2004 Durango. Cruise won't set. The "CRUISE" light comes on

Customer Question

2004 Durango. Cruise won't set. The "CRUISE" light comes on when button on steering wheel is depressed. So far I've replaced the switch on steering wheel, brake light switch and TIPM.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

I would guess its probably a bad servo. Lets test it.

To check the servo:

1. Check for power on the Dark Blue wire. The engine needs to be running and the cruise switch turned on.

2. Ground the Tan/Red wire and the Green/Red wire. The throttle should snap open. Be ready to remove the jumper wires or cut the ignition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Wayne, thank you for your prompt reply. Where is the servo located? The vehicle is Drive by wire. There aren't any cables/actuators near throttle body. or the pedal.
thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Its on the bottom of the power distribution center (Under hood fuse box)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing located directly under the PDC. Just some wiring harnesses that tie into it. Way beneath it is the ABS controller.
How would this servo connect to the engine?

The servo is connected with a wire. This is an 04, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2004. Durango Limited 4X4 5.7/Hemi.
VIN: 1D8HB58D54F215962
Do you have an illustration for reference?
thanks again

OK. Sorry. I guessed the wrong engine.

Theres no servo on this one.. its ran through the PCM.

So you say the light comes on.. does it stay on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it the FCM or PCM? The FCM was replaced as part of the TIPM unit."CRUISE" light in dash will turn on when button on steering wheel is depressed. The button will not activate it though. This button is new.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
edit. the button will not activate/engage the cruise. Just to be clear.
thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the SET button. this editor keeps removing words I put in greater/less than brackets.

This is while driving or just sitting still? If its just sitting still try driving it and see if the cruise light stays lit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
while driving it. you can't SET the cruise if not moving, right?
Just to make sure we understand each other....
scenario:
vehicle is on the freeway cruising at 55.
I press the CRUISE button, the dash light saying CRUISE illuminates.
I then press the SET button, nothing happens. Normally I would feel the pedal pull away from my foot.
Finally, I pull my foot away from gas and the vehicle slows down. The CC did not engage.

You cant set it.. Im wondering about the cruise light that says its turned on. You can turn on the cruise while sitting still.

Have you checked for any related trouble codes? With a PCM controlled system such as this its always best to look at the trouble codes first. Chances are good there is a code in there that will point you in the right direction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle was at the dealership. They diagnosed issue as the TIPM. Which it is not as it has been replaced without fixing the issue. I just took vehicle to local AutoZone to have OBD codes pulled, none.
What is next diagnostic step?

Checking the codes with a real scan tool. A generic OBD tool is not going to get cruise control related codes. It need a vehicle specific scan tool.

What codes did the dealer get out of it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesnt sound like you are capable of helping me through this forum/site.
Again, the dealer diagnosed as TIPM. I just called them on it and spoke with their shop manager. He said no relates codes were found during their diagnostics, but I can bring it back and resume the $119/hr diagnostic.

Its not so much unable to help its you dont have the proper tools. If the cruise will not activate there should be codes in there and if not we would need live data from the PCM to figure it out. The problem with a computer controlled cruise such as this is that you dont know what its doing without being able to see the data in the PCM. It doesnt run like the old ones where power and ground is sent over a circuit to control things. Its all sent through a switch with a duty cycle signal to the PCM which then sends a duty cycle signal to change the throttle speed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe were it the style you assumed at first, you'd be capable of guiding me TSing the issue. since it is not, it is beyond the service offered by this website. How do we end this so that I get a refund pls.
No hurt feelings, it's just too complicated a system to diagnose online... as you said.

I will put it in for a refund. Hope we can help you in the future. Good luck.

OK. I sent it in to customer service to process a refund. They will contact you and let you know if anything else is required of you. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Wayne, Appreciated.

No problem.