Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

1994 Dodge 2500. Manual transmission. Replaced starter and

Customer Question

1994 Dodge 2500. Manual transmission. Replaced starter and have good power source. Will only click and not turn over. I can start truck by rolling and popping clutch. Now what?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Why did you replace the starter in the first place? Same problem, just clicks?

Do you have a voltmeter? If so, place it on the battery and get a reading on dc volts. It should be 12 volts. Now turn the key to start and press in the clutch and read the voltmeter now. It has to remain above 9.6 volts. Does it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it hovers 11+ volts. I replaced starter because parts store was unable to check it's performance. Cleans battery terminals. Using crank feature on battery charger if needed.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You said you have a good power source. How did you confirm this?

Is the engine seized?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked voltage. Switch batteries. Can pop clutch and start and run truck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked voltage. I switched batteries. I can rill, pop clutch, start, and run truck
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you said you checked the voltage. Where did you check the voltage at and what was the voltage? Just because you can pop the clutch doesn't mean anything about the starting system, all you would need is ignition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the voltage at the battery as you directed. Voltage at battery was 11+ when in start position. My statement of popping clutch to start was to answer your question of seized motor-it's not seized. Engine will not turnover when attempting to start by key. Starter only clicks or chatters as if battery was weak. I cleaned terminals, replaced battery, replaced starter, and have used a battery charger 225 amp start setting with no success.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You are correct, I apologize. Yes the motor isn't seized, that's good. You obviously have enough battery. The starter is new and voltage is obviously reaching the starter solenoid, hence the clicking, so that leads me to believe that the problem has to do with either battery cable. I am sure the positive battery cable is tight on the starter since you just installed the starter and the battery connections must also be tight. That leaves a loose negative battery connection on the block or frame or a bad cable itself. Let me ask you this, does either cable get hot to the touch after trying to crank the engine over with the starter for say like 10 seconds or so? If so, you may want to suspect that cable of being bad.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Normally t's rust that ruins a battery cable. Most of the time you can see it, if you take a razor and cut the insulation at the end of each battery cable end at the battery. Cut the insulation about 2-3 inches longwise, and then peel open the insulation and look for any green discoloration on the copper wire strands. If so, replace that entire cable cause chances are it ran the entire length of that cable ruining it.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Was it the cable?