sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I hope so. i have 2003 dodge dakota with 3.9 it has low

Customer Question

i hope so. i have 2003 dodge dakota with 3.9 it has low miles 60k compression is perfect 150 on all 6,fuel press holds at 45 pounds for 20 minutes,kat and new 02 sensors work perfect.iac,tps,maf,coil.wires,plugs.cap and rotor,no evap leaks,no evap leaks found anywhere manafold etc.truck runs very strong but my problem is it has shake at idle when warm it does run very smooth at start up for appx 1 minute starts to shake as tac approaches factory idle speed appx 650 rpm this shake is every time you idle truck without exception never stalls no issues like that.my only thoughts are this acts like externan egr valve i know this truck does not have one truck does not hesitate when you drive it.iam out of ideas.help!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

does it only do this after the engine is warm?

does it seem to flood?[maybe blow a little black smoke or smell raw fuel]?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no engine lights,it does not flood no black smoke or smell of raw gas it does this hot or cold as soon as the idle drops to factory setting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you can drive this truck as soon as you stop it will idle correct for 10 seconds then starts to shake again

when you say shake.what do you mean?does the engine miss?or,does it just idle up and down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does not idle up and down it feels like miss sharp you can feel it through body of truck

but,it runs well out on the road?no problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no miss as the rpm comes down only when it hits factory setting.yes it runs perfect on road no issues at all this truck passes smog test ,it does not hesitate when you start moving,correct power in passing gear etc.this btruck is one owner 60 k but just like new all service work done correctly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i increase throttle stop setting it still misses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as idle comes down does not miss at 1200 1100 1000 900 800 however when i increase rpm back up from factory setting it will miss at(###) ###-####etc

ok,,please stand by,perhaps one of the other guys will be better to assist you with this one,,i will pass this info along to them as i will opt out,,someone will be ight with you,please stand by

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you sir
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The 3.9 had a naturally ratty idle and I'm wondering if you're actually feeling something abnormal or not. How long have you owned the truck?