Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics
18617752

What causes a P06DD error on a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT

Customer Question

What causes a P06DD error on a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with 3.6l V6 24 V VVT engine and the 6 speed 62TE auto transmission? I had the code once in January, now it comes up once or twice a day. Thanks!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

The P06DD is "DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP STUCK LOW". he engine oil pump features seven vanes and a moving element that continuously adjusts to maintain a regulated oil pressure supply by varying the displacement of the pump. The pump has two regulated pressure stages of operation controlled by an on/off solenoid. Low pressure mode regulation (solenoid on) is approximately 200 kPa (29 psi) and high pressure mode regulation (solenoid off) is approximately 450 kPa (65 psi). The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) switches the pump between stages based on engine operating conditions, oil and coolant temperatures, speed and load. Under most typical conditions, the pump will run in low mode from idle up to around 3000 RPM and switch from low to high mode between 3000 and 4000 RPM. The maximum oil pressure in the engine is limited to 1000 kPa (145 psi) by the relief valve. Pressure in the main oil galley of the engine can be monitored with diagnostic equipment through the oil pressure sensor mounted on the rear of the oil filter module. The minimum pressure for the engine is 41 kPa (6 psi) at any operating condition. Anything under this pressure could result in damage to critical moving parts.

• OIL FILTER MUST MEET OEM SPECIFICATIONS
  • OIL FILTER O-RING FOR DAMAGED, MISSING, OR MIS-INSTALLED
  • ENGINE MECHANICAL TOLERANCES OUT OF SPECIFICATION
  • ENGINE OIL PRESSURE OUT OF SPECIFICATION
  • LOW ENGINE OIL
  • DETERIORATED OR DIRTY OIL
  • ENGINE OIL CONTAMINATED (i.e., coolant and/or fuel)

Given the year of the vehicle and if it has lower mileage, it would be more probable of an incorrect oil filter, oil level or need for an oil change or a faulty oil pressure sensor. There are some tests that will need to be done with the use of a pressure gauge to ensure the oil pump is not failing.

Please remember to leave a rating using the star rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dodge dealer says it is a evap system issue. Unit is scheduled for a service call under warranty September 29. Service booker also indicated 06DD is an evap issue. So I guess it's wait and see.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

I am using 2 different repair guide sources. Both of which state P06DD as "DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP STUCK LOW". Hopefully, with any luck, when it goes into service and it turns out my answer was correct, you'll be kind enough to come back and leave me a positive rating. Either way, I hope it all works out for you.