Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

Was wondering if a 2002 dodge ram1500 v8 quad cab has an

Customer Question

Was wondering if a 2002 dodge ram1500 v8 quad cab has an emergency shut off or relay if oil is too low to protect itself against the craziness of the owners( iam hoping) Truck was not having any problems before that,wife said it drove fine to baby shower my roommate met us there.Actually,a couple of weeks before that the truck did not start up right away from me at gas station. Roommate claimed she'd been checking water and oil,she was borrowing truck for work.
Anyway, she was driving us home from baby shower and car just died.No sputter no loud noise no over heating. Had it towed but strange thing is that next day truck it suddenly started up with no sounds from engine and was able to drive it into driveway then turned off and hasn't started since then.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this vehicle does not have a fuel cutoff not oil pressure safety for the fuel pump,Not there nor any tests being performed but my thought is you have a bad fuel pump. Most fuel pump failures happen at the gas station, What happens is a weak pump runs very hot, hit it with cold gas, it shocks the pump and it can fail or make it hard to come back and begin pumping,Same with out on the road driving, Pumps runs hot, lets say it fails and truck quits, then it can in some cases cool down and work for short bit again, 2 way to determine if pump, fule pressure test OR get a can of carb cleaner and gently spray some in the air intake, If it starts , runs then shuts off? you do in fact have a fuel delivery problem and likley will be the pump, The pump is what I am leaning to

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reason I asked is because the dip stick was bone dry when I checked but it briefly turn on next day now it doesn't even want to turn over. Is it possible if the engine,piston rings were blown that it could do that? It was only driven under a mile when it just completely died but no noise sputter or anything.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

well, this may be different, you had not mentioned this, are you saying it is not CRANKING? or cranking and not starting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in between talking to you and my brother who knows a bit more about engines. He said it is cranking and not starting.No sign of starting. Also, he asked if there was a knock sensor that cause this. It was not hot either to the touch when this happened.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok, so engine is not seized, I still go back to my original answer and how to test, carb cleaner into the air intake, starts? pump likley went bad,You have sent most symptoms for fuel pump bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how would you tell it is cranking
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

YOu wrote this, you said , He said it is cranking and not starting.No sign of starting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am asking for myself. He said it is cranking I wanted to know how to tell difference. Also, he asked about the knock sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But as for it DID start briefly did not sputter but I turned it off and it did not restart.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

knock sensor has nothing to do with starting/cranking etc, it is only there to adjust timing under load or pinging, Cranking is put key in, turn key, engine spins, fan tunrs, Put key in, turn? and nothing? then engine could be seized due to lack of oil, I am going off what you are sending, Hope this makes sense

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. we will try to put fuel into throttle...if this does not turn over than what would be the next thing YOU would check for.
thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

well, you are using a term too vague, It is either not CRANKING or not STARTING, if engine does turn when you turn key and is not STARTING? then use the spray, If it then tries to START? pump is likely the problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
percentage wise what would you call it. You seem pretty confident that it is the fuel pump. So there is no if that doesn't work than what would you do next.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

well, if it cranks and does not try to start on carb cleaner, then crank sensor is next, and common,We just have not 100% determined is cranking or not,I am basing my information off what is being sent to me , symptoms, commons we see etc

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

80% pump, 20% cranks sensor without, being there and tests

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last question.So you are pretty sure that it would not have started and ran the next day if even one of the pistons were wrong or engine was damage by lack of oil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but very last brother asked if knock sensor is a crank sensor.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

NO, knock sensor detects engine knocks/pings and changin the timing, Crank sensor reads the crank to produce spark for the plugs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh so it does have a knock sensor -appreciate it
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

knock sensor can and will not be the problem, It just does not have a brearing on the problem at hand