Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Over ride security system on Dodge Ram 1500, parked it, then

Customer Question

Over ride security system on Dodge Ram 1500, parked it, then tried to start it, now won't start. Replaced fuses, new battery in on/off key clicker, it won't turn over. Before this happen, locked key in truck, had to use hanger to open it.. Please help
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Is the little red dot illuminated or flashing on the instrument cluster when you try to start the truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the little red light is blinking when I try too start the truck.. And after all the dash light blink out before I try to start it the fuse light symbol stays on... But I checked all fusses and none are burnt...
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

do you have a second key available to try. The red dot flashing means there is a problem with the immobilizer system. If you have a second key, try that. If still no start the next thing to try is to disconnect the vehicle's battery for a few minutes then reconnect it and try to start it..

Try the above and keep me posted on the results...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I did the unhooking the battery cables and still nothing... And the transponder is that the chip in the key if so the the key lock and locking the door has been acting up it works when it wants too and is broke a lock smith made us another and said its reading the chip but still won't turn over..
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Did the locksmith program the key to your vehicle for you also? If he made a key and didn't program it, the replacement key will DEFINITELY not work. You may need to visit the dealer to have them program that replacement key for you. In fact, at this time, that would be my recommendation either way, Immobilizer issues are BEST diagnosed at the dealer. After repair, there is special programming required in addition to key programming that MUST be performed by a dealer or someone who has the right equipment to do so...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please keep in mind, If you are not happy with your answer and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for your answer is GREATLY appreciated and is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the key chip quit working, n cause the vehicle to freeze up
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this can happen among other things. It is best to have it scanned at the dealer so that they can tell you exactly what is wrong....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert