Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

My01 ram 1500 V6 3.9 won't start but will turn over - I hear

Customer Question

My01 ram 1500 V6 3.9 won't start but will turn over - I hear the fuel pump when I open door to gas filler neck and turn on key- truck has set up3 years
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

If the pump at least runs, it tells me that the PCM is still awake... and that's good. I suspect critter damage whenever a vehicle has been put away running, yet does not later. This is especially true of vehicles that have been sitting for years, but critters can do their damage overnight.

Next, pull any easy to reach spark plug wire at the plug, install a paper clip (or screwdriver, something conductive) in the boot end, place it near a ground source and crank the engine. You should be able to produce spark of at least 1/2" and better if it's healthy. If not, check for chew-age to the coil wire as it runs along the passenger side valve cover.

Pulling codes would be a good idea. Roll the key from off to on three times, leaving the key ON. Watch the odometer window in the cluster as it displays any trouble codes stored in "P-code" format, followed by "P-done" at the end of the test, whether anything else was displayed or not.

Then let's check fuel quality. Gasoline degrades from the moment it's shipped and the stuff in your tank may bear more resemblance to diesel than gas at this point. Locate the fuel system pressure port on the left (driver's) side injector rail, remove the cap and press the pintle to dispense a little fuel onto your fingertips. Blow and rub on the fuel to encourage it to evaporate. If it hasn't disappeared within 60 seconds (about 40 is normal), the fuel may be too dense and in-volatile to promote combustion. If the fuel level is low, just adding fresh fuel may be good enough to dilute the old stuff and once running, it will burn the nicely-aged stuff just fine.

I'll stop there for now and let you catch up. If you have any problems or trouble codes that pop up, let me know and we'll continue from there.

Good luck!

Ed