Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

We have a 2009 Dodge Ram and the titm is only getting 6v to

Customer Question

We have a 2009 Dodge Ram and the titm is only getting 6v to it instead of the 12v any suggestions. Drove the truck to a shop and turned it off now won't even crank?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Did you have both batteries tested separately?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both batteries have been tested both test good
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then you have an issue with the battery cable(s). High resistance in the cable ends can cause this. Check and or replace the cables. If you are 100% sure that BOTH batteries are good, then the only thing that can cause this is battery cable(s).

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the only thing that can make the titm bob have low voltage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a chance the titm box needs to be changed out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband switched the titm box out truck is now cranked but now it's sticking in 4th gear and won't go in 5th or 6th. Also now check engine light is on. Could all these issues be caused by the titm box??
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Well if the problems happened after replacing the TIPM, then yes that TIPM coukd be bad. Also, if he installed a used TIPM, then that is the problem. He needs to install a new one.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me look into that is there anything that could be causing the tipm to short out maybe electrical issue before we put another one in?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Well no, I doubt it. I have seen TIPMs fail all on their own for no apparent reason. If no fuses in the TIPM are blown, then the rest of the truck's electrical system is probably ok.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok we are looking for one to buy now the mechanic says we "need" a transmission rebuild. I will replace box then go from there
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, well be sure to get a new one. Used TIPM s will not work. Oh and be sure to check and replace the battery cables if necessary.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris