Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2000 Chrysler Stratus 2.0i 4 cyl 16V. The starter

Customer Question

HI, I have a 2000 Chrysler Stratus 2.0i 4 cyl 16V. The starter wont turn. Took it out and could not get 12V at thin wire to starter when my wife cranked it. Engine sometimes just quit for a fraction of a second while driving and sometimes stops at traffic lights when idling,...
seems like a combined ignitio/starting problem.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Have you tried a new starter relay?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I switched them still same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Used spare keys and valet key. In case ign. switch is worn out. No turning starter
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, when you turn the key to the start position, do you get power on terminal #85 of the starter relay?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checking..................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power at all at 85 connection with key in starting position
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, now go to the ignition switch and recheck this at the yellow wire on the ignition switch connector. Should be voltage at that wire when turning to the start position. Back probe the terminal to vheck it. If there is no voltage, then suspect a faulty switch.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get there? Do you have a procedure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, I will be away from keyboard for some 3 hours. You can send your solution/prcedure to get under the dash to the ignition switch, anyway. see you later then.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Yes Copy and paste the link below into your browser's address bar to see the procedures for removing the trim and covers to get to the ignition switch. I hope this helps,

Chris.

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5eve5we4lagmgho/JA%20ignition%20switch%20access.doc?dl=0

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****,Sorry, but I have not been able to continue the search on the Chrysler Stratus 2.0i 16V. It is on Hold. Probably MOnday I will continue works on the car. Thanks so far. Therefore not able to do a rating yet, but will surely do asap the problem is solved.Thanks so far Chris. This conversation has not ended yet.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

No worries my friend. Take your time, and I will keep an eye out for your reply on Monday. Have a good weekend!

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris, the project called 'Stratus 2.0i 16v manual was put on hold for a few days. I just reset the PCM by touching + and - and car started immediately. I think the problem lies somewhere in the ignition (coil?) or fuel system because the car still suddenly died a few times at low revs when I drove around the block. As mentioned earlier sometimes when cruising highway it also gets hick ups once in a while for a fraction of a second. So----- Probably the PCM blocks starter (thin wire to starte) for some reason??!!?? Any advice?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

I think it may be the PCM now. The PCM supplies the ground circuit to the starter relay. If that ground is not present, then the relay will not be energized and in turn no voltage down to the starter on the small wire. bThat is what I am thinking now.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you suggest? Changing PCM? Or does the PCM have a bad ground? Maybe thats why the engine stops some times around idle or when driving on higway these short hick ups once in a while less than a second????
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

I think replacing the PCM is in order based on your symptoms. Inspect/check the wiring and battery cables first though. If you see no issues with the wiring, then go ahead and replace the PCM.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chris,As you know when I reset PCM (+pole detached and touch against- pole) the car started immediately.
I checked PCM ground, cleaned it as well as other grounds. When cold car drives about half a mile when car decellerates engine dies. Restarts up right away. When driving all of a sudden engine starts running like missfiring for a second or few seconds. Does this scenario fit in changing PCM? PCMs are expensive here in Europe. Remanufactured ones from USA (+/- $250) dont ship to Europe. A new one from dealer is EUR 900. Second hand from junkyard are EUR 250
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reading OBD codes gives no fault codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
junkyard PCM needs new reading/programming, odometer correction mileage etc
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Yes it still sounds like a PCM issue. Have you looked into sending your PCM out and having it rebuilt or refurbished?

Chris