-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 98 dodge 2500 with a 12 valve diesel. It has been

Customer Question

I have a 98 dodge 2500 with a 12 valve diesel. It has been getting harder and harder to start. It starts for a second and stalls. I replaced the fuel filter with no difference. I installed a lift pump, bled it and drove the truck around after that. Sat over night and is back to firing and stalling. Don't know where to go from here
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

Have you ever replaced the injectors? Hard starting is usually low fuel supply or injectors bleeding off causing low rail psi. A Cummins engine doesn't have glow plugs but rather it fires on direct injection and if the injection pump is supplying the pressure then the injectors are likely returning too much fuel or bleeding off..

To find the issue you will need to run a lift pump supply test, Injector return test, and then cap off each injector until it starts easier and replaced the blocked off injector.. I will say from experience I wouldn't replace a few injectors, if it needs 2 or more I would put a entire set in it because in reality they all have the same wear and you will get a much better running engine with all new injectors..

I hope this helps and if you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I appreciate your knowledge and will use you again. With me working so much, I think I will take it to a dealer.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply!!!

And you are very welcome for the help, and yes we have all the tools and test equipment at the dealership to quickly pinpoint the issue..

Glad I could help and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad