Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Crazy problem. My Brake lights will not turn off unless I t

Customer Question

Crazy problem. My Brake lights will not turn off unless I hit the left turn signal and turn it off between blinks. This is all of the time. Key on and off.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want the reply, take it to the dealer and have computer flashed. I do my own work unless absolutly necessary. Thanks! If you say take to dealer I want my $25 back to pay their stupid fees..
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. You may have a failed TIPM (electronic fuse box), but I have seen issues where the PCM or ABS module can back feed the brake light circuit> Try this: Disconnect the ABS module connector near the left hood hinge. If the lights go out, then replace the ABS module. If they still stay on, then disconnect the PCM. If they go off, replace the PCM. If they are still on and there are NO after market things on the truck, then suspect a failed TIPM. Let me know what you find!

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I disconnect PCM? and where is it? Have any good Diagrams or pictures?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

This is a diesel truck correct? If so, the PCM is mounted to the left side of the engine block. There are 2 connectors held in by a 4mm allen bolt. Remove the bolt and pull the connectors off.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10-4. This wont de-program anything will it? I'm guessing not since it loses power when the battery is disconnected.?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

No it will not deprogram the PCM. Don't worry about that.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't had time to trouble shoot yet.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

No worries, just get back to me when you can,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not the ABS module. I couldn't remember where & how to unplug the PCM last night and couldn't believe that it was bolted to the side of the block had to come in to work and read your note. That seems to be a stupid place for it but, know that I know I'll try that tonight. Thanks.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, sounds good and good luck!!

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The good news is it was not PCM. The Bad news is is was not the PCM or the ABS module. I've also removed both Rear Taillight asseblies and the Curcuit boards and bulbs. Cut the Wires to the Brake controller and removed the connecto to the trailer brake plug with no change. Brake lights still stay on.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

???? Wow. This truck is possessed. HMMM, under and behind the left front wheel, you will see 2 electrical connectors. Disconnect and check those connectors for water intrusion, corrosion, etc. If you see no problems there, then it has to be the TIPM. There is really nothing else left that will keep those lights on. Let me know how those connectors look.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know those well I had ro rewire my 96 dodge from there back due to my trailer shorting out and melting all the truck wiring from there back.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok good. If those connectors ard good, then replace the TIPM.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry still haven't checked connectors. My Son rear ended someone yesterday so now I'm trying to get his car apart and back together before I can et back to mine.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, well let me know when you get a chance.

Chris