Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  25 years automotive expierience, Nissan factory trained, Subaru factory trained.
2921078

I have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 and I had the front brakes

Customer Question

I have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 and I had the front brakes replaced then I was told the calipers needed to be replaced and they were then it was the booster and master cylinder needed to be replaced which it was all because the brake pedal still keeps going down to the floor when it is started so now I had the combination valve was replaced because I was told that was the problem so again after bleeding the brakes the pedal still goes to the floor what is the problem? What else can I do I am so done with this. Please help. Barbara
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Was the pedal going to the floor prior to the caliper replacement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Have you done this work yourself or is a shop doing the work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After the brakes were done that's when it started then I was told it was the calipers and then the booster and master cylinder then the combination valve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Myslef or I should say my cousin then I had a neighbor go over it and he couldn't find out why but said it was coming from the same place where the combination valve was
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, usually what I see is damage to the master cylinder from pushing the pistons in on the calipers. Not the booster, but the master cylinder. So, we need to know a couple things here. First, that the master cylinder was bench bled. Second, that the bleeder screws on the calipers are at the top of the calipers. Can you check this and get back with me? I have to step out for about 20 minutes, then I will be right back. So please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cousin have to leave for a few so I can't ask him
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

No problem, let me know when you can, I expect to be on for at least another hour or so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I just talked to him he said they are down, why?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

They are on the wrong side of the truck. Swap them, rebleed and it will be fine. It's a very common mistake. The air goes to the top when you bleed them, when the bleeders are on the the bottom you don't get all the air out. So, swap the calipers, bleed it and you will be done.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?