Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4. The instrument cluster is

Customer Question

Hi Mike. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4. The instrument cluster is bad but I found another with the correct number. The fuse box is bad. The problem is that my truck was made in Sept. of 2002 and only a fuse box made from 8-1-2002 to 11-1-2002 will work. Chrysler does not have one and neither do any salvadge yards nationwide. What do I do do? Truck runs great but no wipers, tail or brake lights, or dash and speedometer works. I'm getting desperate. I can't believe there is not a fix for this.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did you search the salvage yards or did you have someone else search?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I used carpart.com and I see quite a few listed.

See for yourself, http://www.car-part.com

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

here,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

call this place $150El Mexicano Auto Salvage USA-NM(Albuquerque) E-mail 1-***-***-****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe you understand the problem. I have found the correct instrument cluster, no issue there. I need a fuse box that needs to be numbered P5645765AG. It is the only fuse box that is interchangeable. It is the fuse box in the engine compartment. I have looked nationwide myself, have had people looking for me, and have contacted Chrysler Corporation in Detroit. This truck was made in Sept 2002. The replacement recommended by Chrysler is a P56049019AF. I bought it new and it does not match up. There are too many fuses and not enough modules. The local Chrysler dealer says there is no fix. I need to know what to do so I can use the truck. The car parts place you recommended does not have this and the place in New Mexico can not help either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would be happy to talk to somebody that can recommend a fix so I can drive the truck. Truck runs great and fuse box does not affect operation of the engine.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What engine is in this?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Can I assume this is the 8.0l, because the other engines had a lot of hits but the 8.0l only had 1.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

This one shows a build date of 10-02 and has a fuse box. It's for a 5.7l. http://www.autowrecking.com/parts/view/id/8007773/see/3437343

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the 5.9 Cummins diesel. The truck has the speed sensitive door locks and came with all available options for 2003 except a sunroof. I have found the matching number instrument cluster as the original cluster had hotspots all over the back. But again, the fuse box under the hood has two areas where the solder melted. THERE ARE NO FUSE BOXES AVAILABLE WITH THE ORIGINAL P56045765AG number. Any other fuse box either has too many fuses or too many or not enough module ports.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, my VIN is 3D7KU28603G710250. It indicates that fuse box number P56049019AF is the required replacement fuse box but there is no way it hooks up. That fuse box is for trucks made AFTER 1-21-2003. My was made 09/2002.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, now I am getting confused, at first you said "needs to be numbered P5645765AG" and then you say, " THE ORIGINAL P56045765AG number". Which is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I forgot the "0" in the first number.The original number on the original part is P56045765AG. And that is the number it needs to be. There is not one on ebay and the one at autopartsfair can't be found. I just got off the phone with them. This is the problem, nobody has one. There has to be a way to get this vehicle on the road. It is immaterial whether the vehicle is a 2500 or 3500 series. The electrical set up was the same.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Now why don't any of those search results from http://www.car-part.com fit?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

these,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Will this fit? P56045765AH

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of those fuse boxes you list fit my truck. The car-part website listing is for trucks made AFTER 1-11-2002. None of those fit my truck. Either too many fuses or not enough modules. I went to your website thinking that there might be an alternative to finding the original fuse box. Obviously , as of now, there is not. I was looking for your expertise in determining if there was another set-up that would work in my truck. Either you don't know or have not had experience in this problem. Either way, I have found a fuse box with a matching number out of a 3500 made in October 2002. It came into the recycling center on Saturday.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Saturday? Why didn't you say so? You opened this post after Saturday. So, that fuse box will work, then what else are you asking? Plus, how do you know all of those fuse boxes on the car-part website won't fit, there were a lot of them. Did you contact all of those places that had one?