Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2005 dodge sprinter 3500 motorhome, I replaced all brake

Customer Question

2005 dodge sprinter 3500 motorhome, I replaced all brake pads and now brake pedal slowly fads to the floor with engine running
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

When you did the pad replacement, did you press the caliper pistons back in with the bleeder open or closed?

What brand pads and hardware was used?

Will it stop, or does it start to or continue to roll with the brakes applied?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bleeder screws we're closedUsed Napa brake pads, one set was "heavy duty" they other just normal. they never came with any hardware and the old pads didn't have hardware on them eitherThe motor home will stop but the pedal fades to the floor. Even in park with it running the pedal fades to the floor.

With the engine off and the pedal pressed hard and held, does it bleed down?

Can you check the aftermarket pads to see if they are incorrect and possibly binding and flexing not being pressed flush up to the rotors.

Next we need to get the vehicle on a downhill in drive, stopped. Hold just enough brake to keep it from rolling and let it sit there. If it starts rolling then you have a pressure bypassing leak, if it stays put then you have air in the lines to blame.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With engine off pedal will pump up hard and stay hard.Cannot see pads through rims to check for binding or flexing, but will pull tires and recheck pad locationAs for driving it brakes don't inspire enough confidence to drive motorhome

Keep in touch after these tests.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Determined that pedal fade to floor is normal on this unit when sitting still or moving under 15km/h as drive train is Mercedes built. Contacted Mercedes, had them fax over description of operation of braking system and all operating conditions are normal that we are seeing

I assumed you were experiencing something way different in comparison to the old pads. I did not realize it was a new vehicle to you and you were not accustomed to the brake pedal operation and feel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya, I was comparing north American brake system to European brake system. Doesn't help I work at a Tire Shop with a huge lack of service information.

Glad your pleased with the operation of the brake system. Since there was no rating, you can use those funds for a future question.