Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

My 1995 dodge ram 2500 diesel has a rattling sound coming

Customer Question

my 1995 dodge ram 2500 diesel has a rattling sound coming from the oil filler tube
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome -

My name is***** sorry to see you have had a wait -

Is the oil filler tube actually rattling in itself - ie, loose in its mount... if so, that would be a case of mechanically fixing that... but if you mean its seems to have such a noise coming up through it.. its not unusual to be able to how shall I say - "hear" the workings of the engine - through the filler tube... Being "tunnelled" or like a funnel, it works pretty much like a stethoscope, accentuating the mechanical noise of the inner workings - especially of the valve train / drive system.. in which case, its nothing to worry about.

If you are truly concerned - ie, its excessivly noisy - then you would expect to hear such noise anyway... from the engine as it were...in which case I would recommend to have someone take a "hands on" look / listen - just to be sure -and go from there.. Obviously I cannot hear it - so thats the best advice on this one now really ---

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..

~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .

.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --

Best Rgds, MIKE