vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

2007 Dodge Ram with 5.9L gh Ouput Cummins. I use it. Today

Customer Question

2007 Dodge Ram with 5.9L High Ouput Cummins. I use it for towing. Today yet another arose. Came to a stop and notice it was running rough when I stopped. Put it in reverse and RPM jumped to 2.3k. When reversing a short distance it was running rough. Place back in D and RPM jumped again. Stopped at a light with truck in gear you feel that it is trying to go forward. If stopped and put in neutral the surge happens. However if driving and put in neutral before you stop, no surge. Transmission issue?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 1 year ago.

Afternoon, if the rpm's are going up when in gear and not in park or neutral then the most likely issue is that the torque converter is staying locked up. This will surely be a trans issue. You could have a bad torque converter.....valve body issue.....or other internal failure causing the torgue converter to stay locked up fully. I have come across this issue a few times at the dealership and it was a bit scary how you had to hard the brakes as hard as you could so that the truck didn't want to take off. Each time the customer opted to take the vehicle. They had over 100k miles and we have a rule that we don't rebuild at our shop or overhaul with over 100k miles, only replace.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The RPM goes up when it goes from either D or R to N. It runs and shifts just fine once it's moving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just by chance can this be a faulty ECM? It is not throwing a trouble code.This just started today. A couple of weeks ago when it was in the shop and when thru all the test. Tech indicated the ECM was started to have issues per his computer scanner.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another issue that I noticed with this transmission, sometimes if it sit for a couple days and start the engine (no pressing of the accelerator to start or after starting) when it is put in gear, it acts as thou it is not in gear. Press the accelerator and the tranny reacts just fine at that point. Just some FYI for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction, RPM jumping to about 1.3k when in Drive with brakes applied.

The way to determine if the issue is electrical (external) or an internal trans issue is to start the vehicle and then unplug the trans electrical connector on the driver side of the trans. There is one just about the trans pan that goes in horizontal. There is another connector near all the trans linkage that goes vertical. I'm attaching a pic that shows the item I mentioned to disconnect. It is labeled #1.

If the rpm's return to normal when in gear at that point then the issue is external. If still no change then internal trans issue

If you feel that the question was answered completely then please accept the answer and leave positive feedback. This way the question can be updated and I can be paid thru the website for the time spent helping you. This is the way that the experts on this site get compensated. You can still reply back at anytime on this question even after leaving the positive feedback and accepting the answer. Thanks for letting me help you.

Evening, as experts on this site......we make nothing in the form of payment for the work we perform. When you sign up on this site.....you place a "deposit" before asking your question. The "deposit" does not get used until you accept the answer and leave positive feedback. Then and only then do the experts answering questions on here get compensated. It is not automatic and requires your input. If you still need further help then feel free to reply back and I will help you further. Otherwise to be compensated on my end....I need your acceptance. Thanks again for letting me help you