Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2000 dodge intrepid, 2.7 L v6 got a p0340 code,

Customer Question

Hi there,
I have a 2000 dodge intrepid, 2.7 L v6 got a p0340 code, tested camshaft position sensor signal voltage wire and ohms across sensor, not within range, replaced camshaft sensor, still have same code? tested crankshaft sensor within range but had it out so I replaced it anyway, same code. I ran the wiring diagnosis test fro all data - all wiring within spec, possible bad PCM -replaced with used PCM still same code P0340. car runs great at idle and run up as long as CEL is off, when the light comes on, the engine will die at times, and will also cut-out like and electrical cut-out no stumble, just OFF/ON if I clear the code, the car idles beautifully forever, when I accelerate it can act up immediately or take 10 mins
cannot get rid of Code P0340 help??
I have read theres a "magnet" that is sometimes replaced, are you familiar with this?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I have seen issues where the crankshaft position sensor can short out and "kill" the 5 volt reference voltage which is shared with the cam sensor. This can set a false Cam sensor code. If you have not replaced the crank sensor, then do that and PLEASE! use only Mopar OEM cam and crank sensors. I have been "burned" in the past using after market sensors. Just FYI.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris, thanks for your response, I have 8 volts on my orange wire, I have 5 Volts on my tan/Yellow wire and I have Ground at my black and blue wire. I did use sensors from Autozone, I own and operate an independent shop, I always use the highest quality parts offered by them. I have read that there is a "Magnet" that some people online have mentioned, I see no such "replacement magnet" is this something you're aware of?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be the test to see if the signal wiring is KILLED?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

You would connect a volt meter to the center wire in the cam sensor connector and monitor the voltage. It should be at 5 volts. If it droos off when the problem occurs, then replace the crank sensor.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try it now, be right back
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Center terminal on the camshaft is ground, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris, I tried that, by back probing at the cam sensor and very minimal voltage shows,
However, that is the black and light blue wire which is supposed to be the ground wire is it not?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, let me double check that.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

My mistake. It is the Orange wire and should be 8 volts

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, checked the voltage in the Orange wire
I have a very consistent 8.76 volts key on engine off. Key on engine running and while cranking.
I am seeing a long crank time of about 12-15 secs, however, while cranking and after start, the voltage remains constant at 8.76 volts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tan and yellow wire seemed to have about .675-.825 volts while running >1 volt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry < 1 volt
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Did you install a Mopar or after market sensor?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both are aftermarket
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aftermarket, Both are aftermarket. So which do you recommend I change out? Is there a continuity test between the crank and cam sensors? I'm wondering if the wiring between the two could be screwed or chewed?
I tested the wiring previously between the cam sensor and the pcm, all tests led to the pcm being bad because that section of wiring was ok. I haven't seen a test for the siring between the two sensors, are they in fact wired together or does each go to the pcm?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

The sensors are not wired together, but they both share the 8 volt reference circuit and share sensor ground circuits. Their signal circuuts to the PCM are separate. What I recommend at this point is to replace both sensors but use OEM Mopar sensors. I think that this will fix it.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's over $100 for the sensors and they will not take them back if they don't fix it.
I hate taking risks like this.
Seems like a bad aftermarket sensor would test badly these do not.
I'll let ya know
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Well, I just see issues with the aftermarket ones at the dealer I work at. Let me know how it goes.

Chris