Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 3,7 dodge ram 2001 i put piston rings on it and put

Customer Question

I have a 3,7 dodge ram 2001 i put piston rings on it and put everithing together i tried checkking compression and al 6 cylinder have aprox 30 to 70 psi of compression?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! You are going to need to do a cylinder leak down test. This test shows where the air is leaking out of the cylinder. You can use a tool called a cylinder leak down tester. You just screw in the hose into the spark plug hole as if you were checking engine compression but instead of checking compression, you put shop air down into the cylinder with the piston at TDC and the valves closed. Then you check to see where the air is coming out. For exmaple, the intake, the exhaust or the crankcase. This will tell you where the weak point is inside the cylinder.

Amedee