Ric
Ric, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certified/certified chrysler/dodge specialist/30 years
31675116

Why have I had to regen exhaust 6 times in 4 years and have

Customer Question

why have I had to regen exhaust 6 times in 4 years and have it want to to regen right after 3 hour highway drive???
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ric replied 1 year ago.

Good evening.....My name is ***** ***** i can help you with this.

How many miles are on your truck?

Expert:  Ric replied 1 year ago.

Hello are you there??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The truck has 152,000 km on it,
Expert:  Ric replied 1 year ago.

Hi and good afternoon....I have a couple more questions...so that i can make a proper diagnosis...Thanks.

Have you had all your mileage maintenances done?...ie...Air and fuel filter replaced. Changing the oil at regular intervals or when the overhead says it's time. Has the closed crankcase breather been replaced? Has the egr system been serviced? If you can answer all these for me i can provide you with a precise diagnosis for you issue...Thank you...Ric

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oil& filters are all done on schedule, no egr work. This problem started at about 40,000k, got a flash see dealer right as I got off highway after a 3 hr run the last time it did it, now it says perform service
Expert:  Ric replied 1 year ago.

Great.....Thank you for the info. If all oil and filters are done on time and especially the ccv filter(this one is easy to overlook). Unfortunately your diesel particulate filter is getting full. Chrysler estimates the life of the diesel particulate filter at 150,00 miles (They will rarely tell customers this.) So over time the dpf will fill with ash that it cannot expel and shorter and shorter regen cycles will occur. Some dealers have had some luck with water cleaning or using air to remove the ash accumulation from the dpf.....Other than that....the dpf is due for replacement. One sign of an internally damaged (cracked) dpf would be black smoke on acceleration or soot build up in the tailpipe extension. It sounds like your services are good.....its just the dpf filling with ash.....Ric

Expert:  Ric replied 1 year ago.

Good morning....Just to let you know ...even though the chat may say timed out i can still help you with any more questions you may have about you issue...If you are satisfied with my assistance could you please rate my service....Thank you....Ric...I am here to help...