Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

00 grand caravan 3.8 all wheel drive Intermittent dash

Customer Question

00 grand caravan 3.8 all wheel drive Intermittent dash failure always occurs with abs lamp in upper cluster lit. Some times short 2 second shut downs sometimes shut down for hours! New sypmtoms no start or start and shut down issue! Cluster ,battery, bcm
and ecm replaced help
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Are you saying that the engine currently starts and stalls out or that it does not even start up at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Currently it's not starting at all this changes just about daily ! Some times it starts sometimes it starts and stalls if you start and stall 3 times it won't even turn over for a day or 2
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Are there any codes in the computer? Does thee engine crank over and not start or does it not crank over at all when this happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes in computer it starts and shuts off after 3 times it won't crank! Abs has 3 codes for 3 failed sensors local garage checked it out and said and sensor are functioning properly! While using there scanner the abs light came on and the dash shut off they said they lost all communication to the computers whe dash was out scanner said low voltage to the ecm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At times the vehicle runs well with no issues sometime with the abs light on and the dash going crazy it runs well but sometimes it won't start or starts and stalls !
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Usually the start and stalling condition is related to the security system. Check to see if the ECM is sending out 5 volts to the TPS and MAP sensor with the key on. If not, we could possible have a bad ECM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ecm was replaced less than 48 hrs ago and flashed ! Proper voltage is being put out
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Excellent!! Now we check the inputs to the ECM. Powers and grounds. Let me know what you find!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were checked when ecm was replaced by dealership all was well
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

What pins were power going into the ECM?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That I don't know
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You will have to find that out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealership checked it
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

If this checks out good, I would suspect a bad BCM or a bad instrument cluster.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Both are very common.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As in my question both have been replaced
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

If both of those were replaced, your next step would be to check the BUS circuit.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The BUS circuit is being shorted out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do we do that
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

If could be any other module on board the vehicle. You can use a voltmeter to check this at the data link connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But it will only show if acting up?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Then you will need to check this when the problem occurs. When this happens, start unplugging modules one at a time until the bus voltage returns to 2.5 volts. Leave the BCM until last as it is the component that sends out the 2.5 volts. The modules on this vehicle are the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Transmission Control Module, Controller Anti-Lock Brake, Radio, Overhead Console (if equipped) and Airbag Control Module

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll let u know how it goes
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome! I am glad I can help! Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

It has been a pleasure working with you. Have a greay day!