Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced level specialist
61695331

I have a 1996 dodge grand caravan. Over the years ever

Customer Question

i have a 1996 dodge grand caravan. Over the years ever couple of months or less, I would start the car and the dashboard would not show how much fuel I had, what gear i was in, my speed etc. the dash would light up and everything worked. After 1-2 days it would go back to normal. it happened about a week ago again and it is not coming back on. Any ideas as to what may be wrong?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!!

My name is ***** ***** am a ASE master technician. I specialize in vehicle electronics, i will be happy to assist you with your question. Please be aware i will be asking a series of questions to give you the best possible answer that i can provide.

Do you have any experience soldering wires, or have a soldering iron?

The clustser is loosing power and causing the gauges not to work.

This is usually caused by a faulty solder joint on the main circuit board of the cluster.

You will need to remove the cluster from the dashboard assembly.

Remove the back cover from the cluster and pull out the circuit board.

When looking at the connector for the circuit board turn it over and you will see the large solder points for the connector. Use a solder iron and just heat up the connections for a few seconds to re flow the solder this should allow all the gauges to work again.

I only strive for excellent service, please feel free to ask with any other questions.

Thanks

William