Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 92 Dodge D250, 5.9 L cummins engine. I have two

Customer Question

I have a 92 Dodge D250, 5.9 L cummins engine. I have two fuel tanks on the vehicle with an electric selector valve from autozone. I have a recurring problem which keeps me down for a couple months each time, due to little time to work on the beast. It began when I put a bad batch of fuel in one tank- old and water. I drained/cleaned tank, replaced the inline filter, the original fuel filter, and repaired a leak on a fuel line. I bled all air ( I think) from the lines, injector lines, etc. It ran fine for several days, then stalled several times like it was fuel starved. I limped it home after much bleeding of injector lines to start and run for short distances.
I rechecked/worked everything, including fuel in both tanks, got the vehicle running for several hours (idle and high RPM's) in yard, and took it for road test. Again after a few miles with low load on engine, the same problem occurred.
This has happened four times. The last time it ran well for three hours between both tanks and at idle and high RPM in yard. It sat overnight, and the next day it did not want to crank until I had cracked injector lines on start. I have not moved it out of the yard, or pursued more investigation. My guess is either the heater above the stock fuel filter possibly leaks air into system, or return fuel line is somewhat plugged (fuel flows back through switch to tanks while in yard).
Please advise on what is my next coarse of action.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like you are getting air in the fuel supply system.Inspect for any leaks that could be causing the injection pump to suck air and fuel and if any leaks are found the affected leaks will need repaired.If no leaks are found it is possible this is due to an intermittent failing fuel injection pump itself needing replaced.I would have the pump tested to see if it is faulty needing replaced to correct this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.