Tom
Tom, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor
20300296

2004 Durango 5.7L V8 hemi engine rods broken, can we just

Customer Question

2004 Durango 5.7L V8 hemi engine rods broken, can we just replace the rods instead of the whole engine what is the cost for rod replacement or engine replacement
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll help with your Hemi question. If you have broken rods the engine would need to be replaced because of the damage that happens to the cylinder walls, piston, crankshaft, and bearings. An enigne replacement will depend on if you go with a used engine from a salvage yard or a new replacement. I would suggest a used engine from a reputable salvage yard. car-part.com is a good resource for that. You can find used engines based on your location and find the best price near you. The Hemi is an expensive engine so be prepared for prices ranging from $1800-$3000 dollars based on mileage. Re manufactured Hemi engines can be around $3000 also.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Plus you must figure in the labor of replacement if you aren't able to do it yourself. Most engine swap jobs are 6 - 10 hours of labor depending on if it is 2wd or 4wd

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

If you feel that the question was answered completely then please accept the answer and leave positive feedback. This way the question can be updated and I can be paid thru the website for the time spent helping you. This is the way that the experts on this site get compensated. You can still reply back at anytime on this question even after leaving the positive feedback and accepting the answer. Thanks for letting me help you.