Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
62301042

Stalling Dodge 2500 again, 1997, 5.2. This time, it starts

Customer Question

Stalling Dodge 2500 again, 1997, 5.2. This time, it starts and runs fine unless I stop the car and restart it shortly after. Then it stalls whenever I get off the gas for 10-20 minutes. Otherwise runs fine. Any ideas? Bad compression on a cylinder? Bad
fuel pump (I'm on my third, this one is OEM, Bosch, or whichever you recommended.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'd start with this test. Take the pcv valve out of the valve cover, pull the breather hose off of the air cleaner( the hose from the other valve cover), start the engine, block the hole the pcv valve came out of and the end of the breather hose for 5-10 seconds. Tell me if it's building vacuum or pressure in the crank case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked this previously with the same method and a vacuum gauge. I do not believe the manifold gasket is leaking and there is very little shine on the shelf below the throttle plate.Performing the test I vacced out at zero psi.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok, is the check engine light on and have you checked the fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No CEL. Brand new OEM fuel pump. There is not a simple way to check fuel pressure on this vehicle, no schrader valve. Any suggestions on how to check it?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

On a 97 5.2, there should be a Schrader on the fuel rail. There are adapters that go inline with the fuel rail with a Schrader if there isn't. Maybe try renting an adapter from a pep boys or Google 5/16" fuel pressure adapter.It could also be an IAC issue. If you can get a scanner tool and run a set RPM test, you'd select set RPM to 2000 and it should hit 2000 RPM within 100 RPM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm. Do you have a diagram of where it is? I've never seen it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IAC has been recently replaced.>If you can get a scanner tool and run a set RPM test, you'd select set RPM to 2000 and it should hit 2000 RPM within 100 RPMCould you explain this better?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

I don't have a diagram right now, I can check tomorrow but I think it's on one of the corners of the fuel rail on a 97. Not in the middle of the rail like the newer 5.2's. Not that this really matters but if it's a 2500, are you sure it's a 5.2 and not a 5.9?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Definitely a 5.2.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that is odd for a 2500. Did you look over the fuel rail for the Schrader?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Diagram?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

It does show a procedure with a test port and without a test port so I guess its possible your rail doesn't have one and you'd need to get an adapter to test it. But here's the picture in the procedure with a test port. It's in the middle of the rail, I'm sure you'd have seen it if you had it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I do it without the port? Come-on man, help me out here.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

You need to get an adapter like this to hook a gauge up:

http://www.toolsource.com/ford-adapter-fuel-pressure-inch-p-128337.html

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Do you think you'll be able to get an adapter? You could also make one if you get 3/8" male and female fittings, some 3/8" fuel hose and a Schrader tee.