Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

1997 dodge 2500 Cummings diesel. very hard to start, but

Customer Question

1997 dodge 2500 Cummings diesel. very hard to start, but then runs well. next time same thing
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The can be caused by a number of things so I'll try my best to help you diagnose this. The first thing we need to check is the fuel shut off solenoid operation. Open the hood and locate the fuel shut off solenoid on the rear side of the fuel injection pump. Watch the solenoid plunger while you get someone to bump the key to the start position to see if the plunger pulls up all the way. After bumping the key to the start position, leave the key on. The solenoid plunger should pull up all the way in the start position and remain up in the run position. Try pulling plunger shaft up to make sure it's up all the way. Let me know the results and we'll take it from here.