Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

My 2007 Sprinter Van 3.0 V6 has loss of power and the swirl

Customer Question

My 2007 Sprinter Van 3.0 V6 has loss of power and the swirl valve actuator does not move. I get the code for the right bank, temp high sensor 3, but can not find any information on the Sensor 3.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I have seen on some models where the turbo cooler hose or resonator leaks causing a lack of power and can also in some cases set false fault codes for other components.I would have the turbo boost system checked to see if a hose or the resonator is found to be leaking and if an issue is found with any boost leak this needs repaired then the operation re checked for any other problems when operating the vehicle.If this has already been checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am relaying this information for my father in law who has been a mechanic most of his life with multiple shops. He does not have a smart phone and is not all that computer savvy. I will give him your message. The mail issue is when you start out it shifts through all the gears before you get to speed. By the time you get to 25-30 it is already in high gear. We noticed the swirl valve actuator does not move when we turn the key on. He has two 2007 sprinter vans and the other van when you turn the key the valve goes from the 2:00 position to 5:00 position. We changed actuators and it still will not move on the problem van. The actuator is not froze up. But what gives it the signal to move?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My father in law has been an driver for many years now. Was just telling you about his mechanic background to let you know he is very experienced with desel engines
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,with the transmission shifting this quickly this may be due to a fault with the transmission speed sensor sending an incorrect speed signal or one of the wheel speed sensors sending an incorrect signal as this will cause this here.This may also be why the actuator isn't moving as it should.I would have the speed sensor signals checked to see if one or more if sending a false signal needing replaced and then go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to test the speed sensors without changing them?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The speed sensor signals can be checked using a scan tool that will plug into your vehicles computer to read the sensors data to see if any are sending an incorrect speed sensor signal.If one or more are found to be an issue the affected speed sensor will need replaced to correct this fault.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ray's scan tool does not show a setting for speed sensor test. But it does say exhaust gas temp Sensor Circuit high. Bank 1 sensor 3. Would you mind giving him a call?(###) ###-#### His name us Ray. Thanks!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I am unable to offer that service at this time myself.Can you tell me the fault code number that set with this issue at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P242F
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this indicates the DPF (exhaust filter) is restricted.This causes the exhaust to heat up and a restriction in the exhaust that will cause the loss of power here.With the vehicle already having a lack of power due to DPF restriction the DPF may need removed and replaced or removed and manually cleaned by an exhaust shop.In some cases driving the vehicle on the highway for an extended time will clear it up as it burns off the accumulation in it or a repair facility may be able to trick the computer into running the regeneration to clean it but yours sounds to be at the point needing replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We know it is not the particulate filter. He checked that out earlier when he changed those sensors.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Has he cleared the code to see if it comes back at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has tried clearing it but it will not clear. It comes right back immediately.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this is a tough one for myself to answer here but someone else here may be able to help more on this.I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Do you know the make and model of the scanner that is being used with this Sprinter? On the Exhaust Temperature Sensor code, can you post the actual "P Code" that is being retrieved? I will likely be able to better assist you if you post all codes that are current in the ECM..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert