sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I've been looking into power issues with my 99, 5.9, 24

Customer Question

I've been looking into power issues with my 99, 5.9, 24 valve automatic dodge. Every other hill, the pick up falls on its face. Motor sits at 2200 rpm and climbs 40-45 mph. Next hill, Turbo whines up and flies 55-70 at 2200 rpm. The motors does pick up heat.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

You may have a handful of things going on. It sounds as if the problem may be turbo related if you don't hear it when there is low power, but it may be intentionally reducing power. It will reduce power if there is an issue with a handful of sensors or if it sees coolant temperature go too high. Coolant temp climbing under heavy load is normal but if it's going too high then that may be why power is being derated.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see what fault codes are setting. Have you checked for codes?