DODGEEXPERT
DODGEEXPERT, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED AND MASTER CERTIFIED THROUGH DAIMLER CHRYSLER
9201135

Driving along at 45mph lost all steering. Locked up in

Customer Question

Driving along at 45mph lost all steering. Locked up in straight line. No sevoor.leaks. Can see fluid pumping through the resevor. Belt is on and not slipping. Stuck on side of road. What to do?
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Servo leasks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Leaks
Expert:  DODGEEXPERT replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! Well let's see if there is any way to get you going! Can you forcibly turn the steering wheel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only about 2 inches that do not turn the wheels.

Ok try accelerating in nuetral and attempting to turn the wheels while stepping on the gas pedal.

You should do this in park.

Does it get any better?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No difference at all. The wheels turn about 3 inches to the right,but not at all to the left. I am thinking the shaft in the gear box is broken. So very lucky i was not doing 70 on the freeway. I had it towed home. I am pissed off. This should be a recall. Dodge has a lot of recalls on steering issues. Waiting to hear from you. Trying to find a steering box, but can not find any two wheel drive boxes. Wondering if they are the same as 4x4.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unless you come up with a better idea, i will disconnect th column from the box and see if it feels broken. Wish i could find a freakin steering box.

Sorry for the delay! You have a steering rack and not a steering box. You should be able to find these anywhere. Can you jack up the fron of the truck and try and turn the wheels?