sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Why is the air flow have a reduction in flow & an increase

Customer Question

Why is the air flow have a reduction in flow & an increase in flow on different days & a lot of wind/air noise around & behind glove compartment
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You likely have more than one issue going on.

If it's not changing modes then you either have a failed mode or floor/defrost door actuator or one of the doors is broken. Actuator issues are possible but broken doors are much more common. Replacement of the doors would require heater box removal.

If you hear the blower motor speed change but there is no change in airflow or there is a general lack of airflow the most common cause would be a broken recirculation door. The recirc door is behind the glovebox and directly over the blower motor inlet. What usually happens is the door breaks and falls down onto the blower motor inlet and blocks airflow. You can check the recirc door's operation through the glovebox opening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've been out of service on our phone since I sent my 1st question but since then the air flow completely quit flowing but the noise is still behind the glovebox & the dash area. A few times later after cranking t/,truck again it started working again & we had airflow. Then after driving a while the air vent flow stops working again this morning when I cranked it. It started working again but airflow is still restricted

You'll need to drop the glovebox and inspect the recirc door. You should find that it's broken and blocking airflow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I am going to go back to my dodge dealer for the 3rd time w/this problem. They keep telling me this is normal!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you or can you recommend a dodge dealer in the west Atlanta area

I don't have direct experience with dealers in that area so it's hard to give a recommendation other than trying a different dealer than the one you've been dealing with. Have they not been able to duplicate it?