EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Dodge Technician
Experience:  17 years experience
34559540

03 dodge grand caravan. can not control which vent the fan

Customer Question

03 dodge grand caravan. can not control which vent the fan blows out off
Category: Dodge
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Generally this is caused by the mode door actuator. It is located on the drivers side of the heater box. You can look at the actuator and work the mode door and see if the motor is moving. Let me know if you have more questions.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for viewing my response. Please let me know if you have more questions. Also please rate the service provided. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
removed the actuator and tested it with a 12v power supply and the motor is functioning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since the actuator is working where would you sugest the problem is
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

You should install it back into the car and see if it turns. You could have a blown fuse, an hvac module concern, or the door in the heater box can be broken. You could try turning the door by hand and see if the mode switches. Also the actuator does not just relay on power and ground, there are feedback circuits to tell the hvac module its position. If one of those circuits are not working the actuator may not move as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the actuator removed I can move the door into its various modes by turning the gear that the actuator is supposed to turn. So I am sure mechanically the door works. The actuator works.So are the feedback circuits not working or do I have an issue with HVAC module.perhaps related but the Air conditioning does not work now but I am unsure if the two happened at the same time as I do not use defrost when I need the air conditioning.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Almost all the time it is the actuator. When you narrow it down like this it is helpful to have a scan tool that can check codes in the hvac module. It would still be worth checking all the fuses if you have not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had some more time to look at this again.checked the fuses and all look good. i assume there is only fuses in the engine compartment.when I test for voltage on the connector tot the actuator I get nothing. So I assume the HVAC controller is dead. Considering the AC is out too it may associated.Is there anything else I try? And where is the the HVAC controller and how hard is it to replace.