AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

My wife's saab broke 2 alternator belts apparent reason.

Customer Question

my wife's saab broke 2 alternator belts for no apparent reason. belts did not wear out, they simply broke. Altenator spins freely.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello.. Sorry your having problems. can you check the water pump pulley as well and make sure that is spinning freely ( it looks like that belt serves both the alternator and water pump) and check the grooves in the pulleys to make sure that they are completely free of any rubber that may have been left behind from the first belt that broke? Also, please check all the pulleys to make sure that they are all spinning true and straight. Lastly, how did you adjust the belt tension?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did it by feeling the belt deflection. I did check for trash in the pulleys but access is limited.

I understand about the limited access. My arms and knuckles are constantly full of cuts and bruises due to having to force my arms in engine compartments. It's really important however to make sure that the grooves in all the pulleys are very clean. Often times when a belt breaks, it leaves caked in rubber behind in the pulleys which can be very difficult to remove. Usually, if rubber is left behind we have to clean it out with a wire wheel. That is easier said than done unfortunately. I am attaching the tension specs for your reference as well.

And again, inspect each pulley well to make sure they are spinning true an be careful not to over tension the belt. If possible try using a large screw driver to clean out the grooves.

Did you get a chance to look those items over? Do you need more assistance?

If my answer has helped you please remember to click accept and rate. IF you need more help please let me know.