-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 2000 dodge Durango, 5.2 L, the computer would not

Customer Question

I have a 2000 dodge Durango, 5.2 L, the computer would not allow the car to start every now and then. I would nudge the plug closest to the fire wall and then it would start. I bought a rebuilt computer from a car computer place from Florida, via e-bay. I installed it, now the Durango only turns over but won't start.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, did you just buy it and plug it in? did nothing else? now will not start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called them, they said the Durango might have gone to "anti theft" mode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called them, they said the Durango might have gone into "anti-theft" mode
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

did both vehicle have antitheft?> was ti advertised as such?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know, I bought it used.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an SLT model, I only have one durango
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

understood, what I was trying to ask, is, BOTH pcms must match, I am sure they do but since it is not starting? the PCM you bought? has to be programmed or the antitheft will prevent it from starting, The VIN etc has to be programmed into the new PCM so it can start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave them my original one as core. I sent the vin number as well as the part number of the computer, its supposed to be plug and play
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was supposed to be uploaded and flash with latest update
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could there be anything else preventing the car from starting?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

agree, some are, and this was what I was kind of asking in the beginning, I am sure there is another expert that can shed more light on this as it is on the edge , antitheft wise and so on so,, I am going to opt out and open the post to the other experts, One should be along soon to help. Sorry I could not

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks, ***** ***** out there willing to take on my dilemma??? Standing by...
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good evening....

Do you still need some help with this? If so would you reply back with the last 8 digits of your VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here's vin YF128430
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the VIN!!

Your VIN 1B4HR28YXYF128430 comes back on a Driftwood 2000 Durango with only keyless entry so the PCM only needs the VIN and mileage programmed for it to start..

DO you see a part number on the PCM? By your VIN it should read 56028901AE. If not reply back with the number it has and I will see if I can interchange it.. If you plug in your old PCM does it start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
part number is *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the old PCM, I sent it as core
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Ok so it's the correct part number just flashed to the latest part number.. Will the starter engage if so will it start with starting fluid? It sounds like a bad PCM and it will need to be replaced..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a new remanufactured PCM. im told maybe the crankcase position sensor, thoughts?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If it was starting fine until you replaced it then it's likely a bad PCM.. Is the check engine light on? If you have a code reader can you see what codes it has? Or try cycling the key 3 times to see if any appear in the odometer..

And will it start with starting fluid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was starting intermittently and sometimes it would run sluggish then die while car is running. that is why I replaced the old one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it started briefly right after I replaced the PCM but wouldn't idle. as if it just used up the fuel in the lines, once gone, now it won't start
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

I thought I read it would start when you pressed on the PCM connector which would indicate a broken PC board. Did it have any codes? And have you tried any starting fluid? Does it have spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was the old pcm. no codes. I don't have starting fluid
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a test light? See if the coil has 12v on the green wire and a ground pulse on the other when starting..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the old pcm, when it wouldn't start, I noticed the gas gage didn't deflect to the right, not coming on and I'd see "no bus" on the odometer, when I nudged the plug, the gas gage comes on and the car would start. This time all the gages comes on "no bus" does not come on, but the car won't start
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If your getting a No Bus then a module is locking down the BUS communications and you will need to start by seeing what codes and what modules aren't responding on the BUS with a scantool like the DRBIII I would use on your vehicle at the dealership..

Do you still see NO BUS when you disconnect the PCM?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a test light but I have a volt meter, I check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have no bus now with the new unit
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You can check the 12v with a meter but not the ground pulse, a test light will be needed for that.. If the new PCM doesn't show NO BUS then that issue maybe fixed.. But now why won't it start.. If it started with starting fluid I would start with testing the fuel pump.. If it didn't it's likely no spark which could be a bad PCM or bad crankshaft sensor..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just replaced the crankcase sensor from dodge dealer, still just turn over, wont start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called the PCM company, they swear its good!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the crankcase sensor. It's good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you still help me?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and sorry for the delay!!

Before you replaced the crankshaft sensor did you test the coil? Did it have 12v and ground pulse? To be honest at this point the easiest way to see what's going on is to connect a scantool and see if the PCM is coming on and if it's recieving crankshaft signal and what codes are in the system...

The scantool I would use here at dealership is the DRBIII, if you can borrow/rent/buy one we would know what's wrong in minutes instead of trying on parts and wasting time and money...

Let me know what you find,

Brad