Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced level specialist
61695331

I am changing the cruise control switch in my 2010 dodge ram

Customer Question

I am changing the cruise control switch in my 2010 dodge ram 3500. I have taken all the plastic moulding off around the steering and disconnected the battery. I need to know how to remove the airbag and steering wheel.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

There are 3 metal springs that hold the airbag assembly.

The steering wheel should not have to be removed to replace the cruise switct

Disconnect the battery and wait to minutes, this allows the capacitors in the srs module to drain.which you have already done.

Release the steering column tilt lever and lower the column to its most downward position for easiest driver airbag removal access.

NOTE:It may be helpful to use a small mirror to aid visibility during the initial attempt to remove the driver airbag from the steering wheel.

4.There are three airbag retainer access holes (1) on the instrument panel side of the hub of the steering wheel (2), located at the two o'clock, six o'clock and ten o'clock positions. The steering wheel must be rotated to bring each of these access holes up to the twelve o'clock position of the steering column one at a time for removal access.

5.Insert the short blade (Tip A) of the Driver Airbag Removal Tool (Special Tool #10187) (1) or the blade of an equivalent prying tool into either of the upper (two o'clock or ten o'clock) access holes (3) of the steering wheel hub rear trim cover (2), being certain to place the blade of the tool on the inboard (steering wheel hub) side of the airbag snap retainer wire loop.

6.Push the handle of the tool downward for the blade to pry the snap retainer wire loop (3) upward far enough to disengage the loop from the hook of the steering wheel armature. At the same time, gently pull the driver airbag (1) away from the steering wheel (2) to prevent the retainer from snapping back into place over the hook once it is disengaged.

7.Repeat Steps 5 and 6 at the other upper (two o'clock or ten o'clock) access hole to disengage the other upper snap retainer wire loop.

8.Repeat Steps 5 and 6 at the lower (six o'clock) access hole to disengage the lower snap retainer wire loop. The lower snap retainer wire loop has a distinctive V-shape and must always be installed onto the six o'clock hook of the steering wheel armature.

9.Pull the driver airbag away from the steering wheel far enough to access and disengage the plastic push-in retainer (2) of the clockspring pigtail wire harness (1) from the locator hole (3) at the 12 o'clock position on the back of the airbag housing.

CAUTION:Do not pull on the clockspring pigtail wires or pry on the connector insulator to disengage the connector from the driver airbag inflator connector receptacle. Improper removal of these pigtail wires and their connector insulators can result in damage to the airbag circuits or connector insulators.

spring locations.

Have i answered all of your questions? I only strive for excellent service, if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks

William