bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I started my 2010 3500 ram the other day. The check engine

Customer Question

I started my 2010 3500 ram the other day. The check engine light came on (solid light). I checked all fluids and looked for anything noticeable, nothing. Drove the truck for a mile or two. No change, but I noticed the temp gauge was reading cool ~77C. I've read some of the dodge forums. Completed some troubleshooting from them.
The fan spins continuously, when the motor is off the fan spins a bit but not freewheeling. The fan does not engage or fuss engage with the AC. I can here the fan on then I accelerate.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

what code is set in the ecm?

just guessing will get little in the way of results, there are literally hundreds of codes that can set, you will need a code reader to pull the codes, once you have the codes I can provide troubleshooting help.

what is your skill level?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm on my way to the dealership to get the information
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Low skill level.
The dealership can't give me the codes. The mechanic who diagnosed my truck is gone for the day.
Looks like I'm SOL.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

not really if you have a diesel there are thousands of codes that can trigger a check engine light, if you have UNDER 100k many MAY be covered under the cummins warranty, if you get codes tomorrow I can give you an idea of what you may be looking at, a store like advance or auto zone can read the codes for you as well USUALLY for free at least having the codes will give you an idea of why the light came on