-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Have a 1990 Plymouth Voyager van SE with overdrive...and it

Customer Question

have a 1990 Plymouth Voyager van SE with overdrive...and it won't shift over
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!!!

Can you explain what you mean by it won't shift over? Do you mean it won't go into overdrive? How does the fluid look and what is the last 8 digits of your VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, when you take off , it just stays in the lower gear, I guess you call it ...it won't shift ...or do you call it upshift? Fluid is full and looks good....will get you the vin #'s in a minute
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I am at work, my husband is at the store, so soon as he gets back home he will give me the vin #'s ....in the meantime, any ideas? Where are the relay switches located?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Well I would like to know what transmission you have exactly so I can help you get it fixed.. If it's a 31TH then your issue is a sticking governor. When is the last time it was serviced?

Do you have an insurance card with the VIN on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, here is the vin 1P4GH44R4LX239209...and the transmission was serviced less than 5,00 miles ago so don't feel like it could be that....
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

That VIN comes back on a 1990 Bright White Voyager with a 3.3L engine and 41TE 4 speed transmission.. Since you have a 4 speed it has it's own computer(TCM) and to determine your problem I would need to kow what cods are in the TCM..

Can you have them read and post them here so I can see what's going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where would the codes be in the TCM (what does TCM stand for?)
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You will need a scantool to retrieve the codes from the Transmission Control Module

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what on earth is a scantool? Guess you have to buy one and at approx. what cost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would like Autozone or such place have one that could retrieve the codes?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

A scantool is a computer you connect to the vehicle to retrieve codes.. Yes Autozone can usually read codes fro free of charge..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I will call my husband and have him go to Auto Zone and get the codes and I will get back to you...may be a while...thanks...
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I guess this is going nowhere as neither Auto Zone or O'Reilly Auto can get transmission codes...only can get 41 for charging system ...32 EGR....and 21 for O2. So I guess we are done unless you have another suggestion as this has not solved my problem as to what the problem is....can you just tell me for future reference where are the relay switches located for the transmission...under the hood or ?? and the throttle cable....just tell me where it is located. thks,
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

In order to properly repair your issues your going to need the codes to see what's wrong.. It could be a bad solenoid pack, wiring, internal damage. I can't tell you what's wrong with it unless I know what's wrong, and the codes will tell us what's wrong...

And as far as the relays, and throttle cable.... You have a electronic 4 speed 41TE transmission which uses the TPS(throttle position sensor) for downshifting unlike the 3 speed which does use a throttle detent cable...

I hope I have explained it will enough for you to understand...

Glad I could help and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, but I asked you exactly WHERE the throttle cable is located or as you are now saying he throttle position sensor?? AND, I asked WHERE are the relay switches????
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Yes you asked where the throttle cable was but why? Your transmission doesn't use the cable, which is why I'm trying to explain I need the codes from the TCM to determine the issue with your transmission..

And what are you referring to as relay switches? You have lots of relays and switches for the transmission and we won't know what's going on until we know the codes...

It sounds like you may need to have a shop repair this issue for you..

Glad I could help,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been told there are TWO relay switches which affect the transmission AND I asked you where the THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR is since that is what you said my vehicle had ???? Now can you tell me where they are located or not???? I just told you the codes they pulled and that is all that showed up. Do you have a better idea as to how O'Reilly auto parts scantool might pull transmission codes ????
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The TPS is on the side of the throttlebody and the transmission relay wouldn't have any affect on OD because if it was bad you would only have 3rd gear, limp in...

You will need a scantool to retrieve the codes and Autozone only has a code reader...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my opinion, you are about as informative as a nail ! In my opinion, you must be a politician as you can go around the world and back and still not know what you are talking about to give worthwhile information. I am requesting a refund as I felt your answers were worthless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but I can't help you repair the vehicle until you give me the codes.. Since you can't give me the codes then we will be just guessing as to what's wrong and that isn't how we repair vehicle here on JustAnswer...

If you can get the codes I can assure you that I can help you fix it. But it sounds like this is above your ability so I advise taking it to a shop.

Thank you for the positive rating and have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pretty self assured that I would rate you POSITIVE??? I DON'T THINK SO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

This repair sounds like it's out of your skill level and I would send it to a shop to be repaired...

Have a greatday,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I MEAN HOW STUPID !!! CODES??? HOW DO YOU THINK I CAN GET YOU THE CODES SHORT OF TAKING IT TO A TRANSMISSION SHOP OR PURCHASING A SCAN TOOL WHICH APPARENTLY COSTS HUNDREDS!! SO WHY SHOULD I HAVE EVEN BOTHERED WITH YOUR SERVICE???? THIS WHOLE SITE IS A JOKE IN MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You have to understand without the codes your guessing as to what's wrong... Once you know what codes it has ou can run the tests for the codes to find the problem.. What is it you would like for me to do? Tell you what's wrong thru chat not seeing the vehicle and without any codes?

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If you explain this to your husband I'm sure he would understand... :)