Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 88 tbi 318 that shuts off after vabout 20 min of

Customer Question

i have a 88 tbi 318 that shuts off after vabout 20 min of running the metal relay on the left fender gets hot when it shuts off
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order for the engine to start and stay running you need good spark to the spark plugs , injector pulse and good fuel pressure. In order to be able to help you determine the cause of the engine stalling you need to check each one of these thing and determine which on you are lacking, if you can do this and post back with the results I will try and help you find the cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when it shuts off the fuef pump is still running and i replaced coil and the pickup in the distributor if you let it cool off for about 20 min it will run again for a while then shuts off
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

So are you loosing spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that relay on the left fender gets hot when it shuts off if you replace it it will run for a while then shuts off again
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Is the connection nice and tight at the relay ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does that relay do
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The relay I assume you are referring to is the Auto shut down relay which control power to the computer and the ignition system , the next time you loose spark, run the test steps I have enclosed in the link below and see if this will help you narrow the problem down.
Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/No%20spark%20Sept%201.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok ill check that
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I'm here if you need me.