sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2009 Dodge Journey with 110,000 miles. I have

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Dodge Journey with 110,000 miles. I have noticed that sometimes, not always, when I accelerate, the car it seems as it is sluggish. Friends suggested that it might be the transmission; I had all the of fluids checked with the last oil change and everything was topped off. After a*****trip (in 10 days), I noticed it again. I took it to a car repair place recommeneded by a number of friends, and two different guys drove the car and put it on the computer and said that they could not find a problem, and did not expereience any sluggishness, etc. when driving it. Yesterday morning, when I left home, the car sounded like it could not shift into gear and the dial for the RPMs was between 3 and 4. I went about 3 miles, 2 hours later when I started the car to drive home there was no problem and again no problem later in the day. I live in WV where there are many hills and turns and remoteness, so I don't want to find myself stranded. I don't know if I should take it to the dealership or if I should try to find a transmission shop. Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

It sounds as if the transmission may be going into limp in. If the trans controller sees an issue that can cause damage or thinks it doesn't have complete control then it will remove power from the transmission solenoid pack and lock you in a single gear. It will be sluggish on takeoff and won't shift into higher gears so RPM's will be high if you try to maintain a normal cruising speed.

There are many possible causes for limp in including solenoids and pressure switches, speed sensors, internal transmission, wiring, the TIPM, and the trans controller itself. The most common cause of limp in on this trans is the solenoid pack.

The engine light comes on when this happens, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the engine light has not been coming on. What type of service repair shop should I pursue?

A dealer would be the best place to have the problem diagnosed. If the engine light isn't coming on and no codes are truly setting then it's going to take monitoring data on a scan tool at the time the problem is happening to be able to tell what is going on.