-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I just bought a 99' dodge ram 2500 v10 took out on a trip

Customer Question

Hello I just bought a 99' dodge ram 2500 v10 took out on a trip yesterday and had seatbelt issue light came on and belt kept tightening saw blogs about retractors does this sound like the issue and if so are the parts available to repair? need done asap other than that I really like the truck
thank you ***@******.***
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

Yes I would replace the seatbelt to correct this issue.. What is the last 8 of your VIN so I can get you a part number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
xj629538
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
forgot to ask does the seatbelt include the retractor?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay!!

The part number is ***** and it a complete assembly with retractor.. It lists for 215.00 from us (Dealership)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how soon would you be able to get seatbelts are they in stock and is the color based on the vin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in Gilbert Arizona
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking me to order them for you? It would be best for you to go to your nearest Dodge dealership and have them order it.. It should arrive the next day when they order it..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds great
Thank you
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome!!

Thank you for the positive rating.

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
forgot to ask do I just need to do drivers side or passenger side also to resolve issue?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

I would only repair the side that you having the issue with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both were doing it yesterday and come to think of it issue started when we both had belts fastened and mine would not
extend once I unhooked it until I unhooked both belts or shut off vehicle
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Roger I went and have been searching for a fix for your issues and I have found a few cases that might pertain to your seatbelt tightening up and locking.

Case Number999923258

Vehicle IssueSeatbelt warning lamp on; SCTM failure code => Replace seatbelt control timer module;In what area is the electrical problem? >> Passive restraints What is the code in the airbag module? >> SCTM failure What is the problem with the passive restraints? >> Seatbelt warning lamp on, code in airbag control module

System or ComponentCustomer Concern (No DTCs);Seat Belt Reminder Light,Passive Restraints

Recommendation Replace seatbelt control timer module

Case Number912085109

Vehicle IssueThe seatbelt light comes on; the seatbelts may lock up. There is a code in the AECM for a " SCTM failure". 1998-1998 BR/BE.;This is not to be confused with a seatbelt light that comes on and there is NO codes in the airbag (aecm) module, if so then this case does not apply. Usually the code and lamp is extremely intermittent. This case applies to 1998 & 1999 BE truck only.

System or ComponentActivates / Operates by Itself / Ghost Cycle,Flickers / Flashing,Will Not Turn Off;Customer Concern (No DTCs),DTC / Error Message;SCTM,Seat Belt Reminder Light,Electronically Controlled / Motorized Seatbelts,Seat Belt / Shoulder Belt;Interior;Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously,No - Condition Never Duplicated

RecommendationCheck pins 4-5 (+), pins 6-13 ground, pin 11 (g111). The code will set if the g111 does not have between 1-3 volts. Also be sure the solenoids will lock up and are plugged up. Check the C360 and c203 connector. See page 83 of the 1998 green body book, it has some good diagnostics as well a good circuit description. If the SCTM is lost the AECM will turn on the light. Also make sure the solenoids work properly, if unplugged the seat belt light will come on. Check the wiring in the left kick panel and left side of column area. Check c360 and c200 connectors.

Modification Date08/13/03 10:25 AM

Case NumberK18898194

Vehicle IssueThe seatbelt light comes on and the solenoids retract. This happens when you go 25 miles. The technician can open the door and close it and the light would go off. The SCTM, both retractors, CTM and ACM may have been replaced already.

System or ComponentActivates / Operates by Itself / Ghost Cycle;Customer Concern (No DTCs);SCTM;Right,Left;Yes - Continuously

RecommendationIgnition sense wire at the Seat belt control module is either pushed out, the terminal is spread or the crimp is not holding all of the strands of wire. (Bad connection)

Modification Date05/13/04 1:17

At this point I would have the codes checked in the Central Timer module as well as the airbag module. If there are any codes I would run the diagnostics to find your issue..

Brad